Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake with Cranberry Walnut
I made this wonderful cake recently. Alas, halfway through baking the electricty conked out on me. Fortunately it turned out better than I thought despite not being so well risen, when electricty was restored half an hour later. So now I am sharing the recipe with you:
PUMPKIN UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE WITH CRANBERRY WALNUT
8 oz unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup cranberries
1 cup walnuts - coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
6 tbsps vegetable oil
1-1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a saucepan, melt butter, add brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch square pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
2. Combine cranberries and walnuts in a bowl and sprinkle over the brown sugar mixture in the pan.
3. Beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and oil in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
5. Add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
6. Spread batter carefully over the cranberry walnut topping.
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees/350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until done.
8. When cool, invert the cake and peel off the parchment paper. Cool before serving.
Note: Walnuts can be replaced with pecans. You can serve cake with Chantilly Cream if you so desire.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!