"Quickie" Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, I don't normally mess with "boxed mix" type cakes, as I prefer to make my cakes from scratch. However, I had a box of pineapple supreme mix in my pantry that PeppA had bought. I'm going to donate this cake to a bake sale for my metal detecting club.

Quickie Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Yields: 12 servings

one 18.25 oz boxed pineapple supreme cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 c oil
one stick butter, melted
brown sugar
2 cans pineapple slices, drained, reserving the juice
32 maraschino cherries

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt the butter. Pour the butter into a 13 x 9" cake pan. Swirl the butter to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Arrange the pineapple slices in the pan, in a 3 x 4 grid (you'll have extra slices left over). Place one cherry in the center of each pineapple, and in between the slices as well.
Mix the cake batter as directed, except use 1 1/3 c of the reserved pineapple juice instead of water. Pour the batter slowly over the fruit. Spread the batter evenly with a spatula.
Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cakes tests done with a toothpick (mine took almost 45 minutes, but my oven may not have been quite up to temp). When done, remove from the oven, and let cool on a wire rack for an hour.
Using a knife, loosen up the edges of the cake from the pan. Invert onto a serving platter. Cut into 12 pieces and serve.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

20070526pineappleupsideyw2.jpg

That's beautiful! What type/size of pan did you use? I have an 11x14 but you cake looks like it was baked in a shallow pan. Maybe 1".

Thanks all. I believe it's a 13 x 9" pan. It looks like it's really thin, as I was standing in a chair to take that pic.

I'll probably have to make another one here soon. PeppA, my other half, has been making some rather obvious hints.

I normally make PUC from scratch, in a 12" cast iron skillet. I may make the next batch from scratch, but use the 13 x 9" pan.

Add me to one that will need to make one of these soon!! One of the only cakes I will eat a bit of anymore.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly the directions on a boxed pineapple upsidedown cake call for a 9x9 pan. That may be why it looks "thin"

It's been forever since I have made one from a box though, so maybe I am mis-remembering.

The boxed mix I used was a Betty Crocker "Pineapple Supreme" Cake. It will make one 13 x 9" cake, or two 9" round cakes.

PeppA kept "looking" at that cake as we went to my club's outing over the weekend. I'm probably going to make another one soon.

Ok, I made another one today. We're going to cut it up and eat it here shortly. One correction, I posted that I used a Betty Crocker mix. It's actually a Duncan Hines mix.

Allen, your photo makes me want to bake one this weekend. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I like the idea of using the pineapple juice in the cake. What a great way to infuse the cake with more of the pineapple flavor.

Back
Top Bottom