WOK CAKES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayneT

Washing Up
STEAMED SPONGE CAKE — In A Wok
Chinesesmiley.jpg

This is a lovely no fuss, pretty well fool proof sponge cake. The original recipe suggested cake flour as it was closest to rice flour so I thought I would go one step healthier (for the sake of my concience) and try Brown Rice flour. Worked a treat. Works fine with all porpose flour and possibly with cornflour. Texture is not as fine as traditional sponges but quite spongey all the same. I love it. I have also tried some other cakes this way and they turned out good. As with microwaving, there is no browning on top (I can live with that) but I think a better result overall than microwaving, cheaper and more foolproof than a conventional oven.

Ingredients

5 large eggs OR 6 average size, at room temp
1 tbsp. water
1 tsp Almond essence (traditional) OR Vanilla or essence of choice preferred
1 cup sugar
1 cup Brown OR White rice flour (all purpose flour if Rice not avail)
1 tbsp. melted butter

Preparation:
Beat eggs, water and sugar for 10 minutes at high speed or for 20 minutes by hand. The consistency should be thick and creamy. Fold in flour, then melted butter. Line bottom of a 9-inch round or 7-inch square baking pan with cooking parchment paper. Pour batter into pan.

Cooking:

Have water in wok boiling. Set cake pan in Bamboo steamer or on a steaming rack and cover. Steam 20 minutes at medium heat. Insert tooth pick to see if done.

Turn cake out and peel off backing paper. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm or cold au naturale or with fresh berries and cream or jam and cream etc.

OKAY —No funnies about Wok Cakes etc.

Back
Top Bottom