"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a whole collection of cookie cutters. Even the little tiny ones that are less than 2". I use them to decorate the edge of a pie or even cut out cookies to put on top of a Christmas cake. I use the holly leaf and make royal icing for the red berries. I buy the Pillbury plain sugar cookies, roll out the dough and cut out all the holly leaves, then bake and frost them. Some yeaars I make the holly leaves with royal frosting also. But it seems like everone likes the cookies better.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

We make alot of Christmas cookies every year. We go through several platters of them for caterings. We always make:
Marshmellow caramels
Russian teacakes
Almond bark, some with almons & some with peppermint.
Pecan tarts
Cherry nut miniatures
Nut clusters
Peanut brittle
Anise candy
Sugar cookies
Fudge

Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm the same--I love the smell of coffee, but not the taste. I keep it on hand for guests and cooking.

Favorite Christmas cookies:

Rosettes (time consuming to make)
Krumkake
Pepper Nuts
Fattigmann
Sugar Cookies
Lebkuchen

Here's a link to Scandinavian Christmas Cookies:

Scandinavian Christmas Cookies Article - Allrecipes.com
Oh, I looooove rosettes and fattigmanns and I made some of each for Glenn last Christmas. I thought he was going to explode he ate so many of each. He gobbled them up like a little child.

Thanks for reminding me. I think I'll add those again to my Christmas cookie list this year.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

I don't bake but when I'm lucky enough to be gifted with Christmas cookies, my favorites are Mexican Wedding cookies and these lacy cookies like these.....

Big, Bold, Beautiful Food: Cookie Swap: Ruth's Florentine Cookies

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Head Chef

Puff Pastry Snowflakes or Stars. Use a snowflake, star, or any shape cookie cutter you desire to cut thawed frozen puff pastry sheets. Bake in at 400 F about 10 minutes or until golden. Lightly dip tops of pastries into melted white or dark chocolate. If they are just for decorative purposes, sprinkle them w/ dragees. I think they are no longer sold here.

I like the black & white cookie. Use a combo of red, green or white for the frosting. The recipe is on Mr. Food's website. I have a recipe for Italian cookies. Will search my recipes, if you like.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have always been facinated with Scandinavian sweets. They are so interesting. Sure, Viennese bakeries fill their windows with elegant, beautfiful pastries, but they are certainly something that the ordinary home baker cannot possible hope to emulate in their own kitchen.
I have made rosettes, krumkake, fattigmann, lefse, and pepper nuts from the time I was quite young...I remember standing on a stool to flip lefse at my grandma's house...that must have been before I was even in school because the kitchen hadn't been renovated and my grandfather was still alive. Oh, I forgot the Spritz cookies (which we called "S" cookies) and sandbakkeler (sp).
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I have made rosettes, krumkake, fattigmann, lefse, and pepper nuts from the time I was quite young...I remember standing on a stool to flip lefse at my grandma's house...that must have been before I was even in school because the kitchen hadn't been renovated and my grandfather was still alive. Oh, I forgot the Spritz cookies (which we called "S" cookies) and sandbakkeler (sp).
Point me at a pepper nut cookie recipe please.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Point me at a pepper nut cookie recipe please.
Do you want Pfeffernuesse (German) or do you want peppernuts (Scandinavian)? I have recipes for both (one from my grandma, one from experimenting on how to get something similar to the German Pfeffernuesse my mom remembered her German grandma making).
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, I looooove rosettes and fattigmanns and I made some of each for Glenn last Christmas. I thought he was going to explode he ate so many of each. He gobbled them up like a little child.

Thanks for reminding me. I think I'll add those again to my Christmas cookie list this year.
For years, I shipped krumkake, rosettes, fattigmann, and pepper nuts to my family. It isn't Christmas unless there are 7 kinds of cookies for dessert, and that cookie tray better include krumkake, rosettes, fattigmann, and pepper nuts.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Do you want Pfeffernuesse (German) or do you want peppernuts (Scandinavian)? I have recipes for both (one from my grandma, one from experimenting on how to get something similar to the German Pfeffernuesse my mom remembered her German grandma making).
Scandinavian peppernuts, Thank you!

Tags
christmas, cookie