Caramel Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyogal

Head Chef
This year, my caramel apples were dunked in semi-sweet chocolate, and rolled in toasted coconut, toasted almonds & macadamias, and white "chocolate" chips...
What are some of your variations?

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 223
I made 2 batches, 10 in the first, 8 in the second. The pic is of the first batch. During the toasting (coconut/ almonds) part of the second batch, my daughter called, I got a bit distracted and the nuts got darker, mostly fully light brown. It had a more pronounced/darker nut flavor. Not burned, whew....
I've done them rolled in m&m's, candy corn, salted nut combos, too. Slice when at room temp, one apple serves 4, or more. Find the smallest granny smiths, otherwise they are too big to fit into sandwich bags. Quart size freezer bags enclose the whole apple and stick nicely.

I delivered 3 just this morning, only have 2 left... Some folks get one every year, a couple of friends have school age kids and they get 2, and then some are just random, a local FB friend got one today, dropped one off with the secretaries up at the school district personnel office, etc.
I found that the bag of kraft caramels covered 4 apples, not 5, with just a little leftover, which I use to make some turtles with the leftover bit of chocolate and nut mixture. I used 2 bags of chocolate chips for 8 apples.

I would like to cook down some Cajeta to what, the soft ball stage? for dipping. That should make an interesting caramel apple.

Anyone ever cooked the sweetened condensed milk down in the can and pour it over apples? The recipe I heard from a friend is you boil the unopened can in plenty of water for 4 hours. It doesn't explode because it never gets above the boiling temp, just like when it was canned in the first place.

Then you open the can and pour caramel goodness over the apples. I'm not excited about watching a can boil for 4 hours though to try it out.

I would like to cook down some Cajeta to what, the soft ball stage? for dipping. That should make an interesting caramel apple.

Anyone ever cooked the sweetened condensed milk down in the can and pour it over apples? The recipe I heard from a friend is you boil the unopened can in plenty of water for 4 hours. It doesn't explode because it never gets above the boiling temp, just like when it was canned in the first place.

Then you open the can and pour caramel goodness over the apples. I'm not excited about watching a can boil for 4 hours though to try it out.

No guts here. I'd be waiting for it to blow any minute. LOL

Back
Top Bottom