Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rod Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bravajo

Assistant Cook
I know this is not exactly rocket science but I made some chocolate dipped pretzel rods for party favors (dipped the pretzel rods in melted chocolate and then in various decorative candies).

Situation: After dipping and decorating I put them in the refridge to cool them down.

Problem: 5 hours after they were completed the chocolate didn't harden and is soft at room temperature. The smear all over the inside of the mylar bags that I intended to wrap them up in.

Suspicion: I think the chocolate was not tempered properly and so it didn't set up correctly.

Side fact: I have worked with chocolate before and never really had a tempering problem.

Questions: 1) What did I do wrong? 2) Is there any salvation for these 100 pretzel rods or is it a matter of eating a whole lot of pretzels and starting again?

Thanks,
Joe.

Did they "smear" after you removed them from the fridge?

I never like to refrigerate anything that's chocolate-dipped. Once you remove it from the fridge, it will sweat, and the chocolate will get soggy, and run.

Allen,

Could be. Truth be told I posted this for my wife. I don't like the refrigerator cooling approach because there is usually no need for it. I suspect that had a hand in the "fudgy" texture of the finished rods.

Thanks,
Joe.

PS I was thinking of trying heating the rods in the over to 85 degrees or so to see if they will set-up again. Either that or double-dip?

Don't know what type of chocolate you are using, but I have had success using the chocolate almond bark. We make lots of dipped candies and goodies at Christmas and have had the best results with the almond barks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom