Penuche Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I am looking for a great penuche recipe, specifically one that can be made without evaporated milk. My mom used to make penuche and it was wonderful but the recipe has gone missing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Mom clipped this out of a magazine years ago. I have not made it in years.

• [FONT=&quot]1 cup packed light brown sugar [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups sugar [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup milk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons butter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup chopped nuts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a 3-quart saucepan combine the sugars and milk, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (236 degrees F on a candy thermometer). Remove from the heat. Add the butter and vanilla, but do not stir. Let the mixture cool without stirring until it reaches 110 degrees F and the outside of the pan feels lukewarm, about 40 minutes. While the mixture is cooling, butter an 8-inch-square pan. With a wooden spoon beat the mixture until it becomes thick and begins to lose its gloss. Quickly stir in the nuts, and pour into the pan. (Don't scrape the sides, since they may be sugary.) Cut with a sharp knife into 1-1/2-inch squares.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Candied cherries can be added at holiday time or used as decorations. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We use walnuts most of the time but salted cashews or pecans are also good.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can speed the cooling time by setting the pan in another pan of ice and water then stirring from the outside. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It takes some practice to make a creamy texture instead of a grainy one but, it all tastes good.[/FONT]

Circling back on this... I've been messing with penuche for a year now trying various recipes, etc and have finally settled on one that is perfect. It turns out that simple is best after all. After trying recipes that had evaporated milk, imported butter, organic sugar and a variety of cook times and methods - this is what works well in my kitchen:
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Place first ingredients in a heavy pan and cook over med-hi heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved DO NOT STIR AGAIN. Heat to 236 degrees F (softball stage). Remove from heat and let cool without stirring until bottom of pan is lukewarm. Pour in vanilla and beat until creamy. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared 8 x 8 pan.

Look what you get :)

pencuhe.jpg

Last edited:
That looks out of this world Janet! I'd take a piece of that over chocolate fudge any day of the week.
One question...you beat it with a wooden spoon or something else?

Last edited:
I beat it with a wooden spoon and only until it got too stiff to mix. It was still a bit caramel-ish when I put it in the pan.

I'm not much of a sweets eater but this might turn me around:yum: I'll be making candy with Cade and Ethan next weekend and this has got to be one of them.
Thanks Janet.
kades

OM NOM NOM! Is penuche another word for fudge? That looks a lot like the yumminess my Mom used to make.

Penuche is my favorite sweet treat .. and luckily I am the only one in the house who loves it :)

I've tried a few recipes but none came out looking like that !! So thanks for the share .. headed to the kitchen right now !!!! :yum:

Alix, penuche is brown sugar fudge.

A gift from the gods. (Danged diabetes.)

I didn't know that. Learned a new word today. We always called it butterscotch fudge. Its my favorite! Sorry you can't have it sparrowgrass. That is just WRONG on every level!

Back
Top Bottom