Anyone order meats online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
There are a plethora of butchers in my area but I'm looking to save a few bucks buying in bulk. Has anyone ordered meat online? And if so, what are the pros/cons?

TIA

Jeeks....

I have ordered from Pflazer (sp?) Brothers, The Tender Filet, and Ohmaha Steaks. Out of them, the Tender filet was the proudest of their meat and I have to say the quality is pretty decent. Then I found a place locally that delivers meat and it is all hormone free/ grass fed/ meat. The quality beats all three places mentioned above and is well worth my money IMO. The only thing I really like from Tender Filet is these stuffed pin wheel steaks that they have. They are really good and I will order a dozen from them from time to time. Since Burgundy Beef is so close to me, all I pay is a $3 delivery charge and they personally deliver the meat to my house.

PROS - (at least for me) grass fed, hormone free, cheap delievery, quality, taste.

CONS - A tad pricey (but I don't mind paying more money for a quality product), limited cuts available. 10lb minimum for any order.

HTH Jeeks... I have been doing this for at least 5 years now, I rarely buy meat at the gstore unless it is an emergency situation.

Thanks for the info. It seems, to get the best price, you need to buy one of those "packages".

Yea.. when I use to order from Tender Filet, I would order the VIP or whatever. That way you can try different things and then decide what you like. I could never really find a package that had all the things I liked. Then you order one of these packages, spend $200 and then when you get the box at home, it is the size of a shirt box!

There are a plethora of butchers in my area but I'm looking to save a few bucks buying in bulk. Has anyone ordered meat online? And if so, what are the pros/cons?

TIA

The first thing that popped into my head, was "Lucy" locked in the meat freezer.

I have ordered from Omaha steaks, but not in bulk. The "package" offered was good for me, as I had an assortment of different meats - kebabs, steak, burgers, sausage. It is a little pricey, but I don't mind paying for the convenience (having it delivered), the quality (imo, was good), and vacuum sealed. Still have some in the freezer. The burgers are a little thin, but lean.

If you buy meat in bulk, my guess is, you would have to cut, trim, wrap etc. yourself.

IMO, if you want it fresh & in large quantities (but not on line, that I know of) - Stater Bros has been advertising (haven't tried them as yet), or watch for sales & stock up.

Well, I called in a favor to my butcher friend. He said they have rib roasts on sale next week for $4.99 lb. He's going to cut me 10 ribeyes.....no charge.

Sattie, are there any packages you would recommend?

Tender Filet beats Ohmaha and Pflazer's hands down in my opinion. It really depends what types of meats you like. I always went for the nicer cuts of meat. I like the VIP steak combo from TF. Then you have the hearty beef assortment. I have also tired the Customer Choice assortment where you get the shrimps, cordon blue, lobster, etc... you can have alot of fun with this one! What every you do, if you order from TF... get you some of the stuffed pinwheels... they are great for a quick and easy meal. Thaw, pop in a broiler, and wha-la!

Pflazer Bros... I found that some of their meats were fatty/gristlely. Often to thinly cut. Plus the flavor just does not seem to be on par for what I like.

Try this taste test. Buy a steak, cut it in half, put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. Once the freezer one is frozen put it in the fridge until thaws. Cook them both and do a blind taste test with your spouse/friend. See which they like better, then have them do the test to you. In short, freezing meat causes the cell walls to break, thawing allows the fluid to out off the meat. The result is a dryer mushyer texture. However, the reason for the taste test is to see if you can even notice a difference. A few people don't.

Most every mail order steak arrives frozen...Fresh butcher should outperform most mail order steaks... :)

Back
Top Bottom