"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
It's my bf's pressure cooker. He has used it for roasts, but is very vague about how to do it, which is why I'm asking on here. The pressure valve on the top works fine, and it locks when it is under any pressure, so it can't be opened until you release the pressure. Is that the gasket you mentioned? If so, it works fine.
Skittle, Listen to Princess Fiona!!! Just because you can't open it if it has pressure dosen't mean it can't blow up if it has to much pressure.I have two huge pressure canners and three smaller pressure cookers that I use on a regular basic.

Josie

Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945

Skittle, Listen to Princess Fiona!!! Just because you can't open it if it has pressure dosen't mean it can't blow up if it has to much pressure.I have two huge pressure canners and three smaller pressure cookers that I use on a regular basic.

Josie
I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely asking, isn't that what the valve on the top is for? To release pressure if you accidentally let it get to great? Just because I don't have the book doesn't mean that isn't working properly. But, you guys have convinced me I should look online for the manual for it. I don't have immediate plans to use it, so I will read up on it when I have time. Also, thanks Andy, for the link

Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Oh, and just so you know, a few of you are making it sound like unless you have your own personal pressure cooker expert you can't learn to safely use one. I'm asking for help and advice, precisely because I don't have someone like that, and instead of trying to educate me and tell me what I need to know or where to find the information I need you are making me feel like an idiot just because I'm uneducated on the subject. Trust me, I am smart enough to figure out instructions, and obviously I was smart enough to ask for advice rather than just trying to use it without knowing what temperature I should use and for how long. I've been told now several times how careful I need to be without one single piece of advice on what I can do to use it safely, or what I can do to avoid accidents.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

The thingy on top that rocks back and forth under pressure is there to maintain a constant pressure. Adjust the burner so that rocks back and forth releasing steam.

As long as you don't overfill, there shouldn't be an issue with the PC.

Look online with the brand and model number of the PC to see if you can download a manual.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The thingy on top that rocks back and forth under pressure is there to maintain a constant pressure. Adjust the burner so that rocks back and forth releasing steam.

As long as you don't overfill, there shouldn't be an issue with the PC.

Look online with the brand and model number of the PC to see if you can download a manual.
Thanks again Andy, I will definitely do this. Wouldn't want to blow up my kitchen and prove everyone right ;)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

There are safety features. If the pressure gets too high, the rocker will release it. There is also a some kind of safety release that will pop out to release pressure. If you are going to use it, I strongly recommend you find a manual.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

Skittle,
Our intention was not to make You feel like a Idiot it was to protect you. We don't know what kind of pressure cooker you have and it does make a difference we do not want to give you the wrong advice .
My mother had one blow up when I was younger we were lucky that we were
in the dining room and not the kitchen it was bad.
If you use the name and the model number you probably can find some information on line. We could not give you the tempature to use because we don't know if it had a gague or not Two of mine have gagues and three don't.
I am so sorry that you were offended I know you are not dumb because you found your way here. Me or no one else here would offend you on purpose.

Josie
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945
Skittle,
Our intention was not to make You feel like a Idiot it was to protect you. We don't know what kind of pressure cooker you have and it does make a difference we do not want to give you the wrong advice .
My mother had one blow up when I was younger we were lucky that we were
in the dining room and not the kitchen it was bad.
If you use the name and the model number you probably can find some information on line. We could not give you the tempature to use because we don't know if it had a gague or not Two of mine have gagues and three don't.
I am so sorry that you were offended I know you are not dumb because you found your way here. Me or no one else here would offend you on purpose.

Josie
Thank you very much- I appreciate your concern, and I absolutely will look for the manual before I do anything. I did realize before I asked my question that an explosion was a real risk, and didn't know how to prevent it, which is why I asked :) A model number to find the manual actually didn't even occur to me- since I have no experience on the subject I sort of assumed they were all basically the same lol
Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

If you would like help finding a manual, post the brand and model no. here.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
Sous Chef

That would be great! It's a presto, MOD 01264. I assume that is the right number...

Tags
other