"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

I always use non-stick when I cook them in a skillet. I usually put a little salt in the bottom of the skillet. Let the burgers brown completely on one side before you turn them, then turn the heat down a little and partially cover pan. Do not mash! When the juices run clear, they're done.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #12
Head Chef

I guess it's really just a matter of preference. I like to use SS because I heat the pan good and hot and then throw the seasoned hamburger in so that it will get a nice crust and not overcook. Then flip it over and brown the other side (never, never, ever mash it!)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

It doesn't matter - as others have said. When I'm making a burger I'm generally not making pan sauces or gravy ... I just want to cook a flattened out hunk of ground cow to put on a bun with some lettuce, onion, tomato and a smear of mustard. Of course, sometimes I gussey it up with maybe a slice of cheese, maybe some sauteed mushrooms, maybe sauteed onions, or some bacon.

But - for a simple burger - nonstick will work just fine.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
ok, I know we are lame. We need a new grill and we have none right now.
If I cook hamburgers on the stove later, is it better to use my stainless steel pan or just a regular non stick pan? I don't have a gorge forman grill either.
Hi Legend,
The type of pan is less important than the temperature of the pan and oil when you add the hamburgers. The pan should be sufficiently hot so that when you add the hamburgers the meat sizzles and browns gently (rather than in two minutes it`s all burnt) so it is actually a very difficult skill but you can do it!

What you need is a wide based pan with short sides - a really squashed U shape - no more than with a side depth of 1 to 2 inche, max. Place oil and if using butter go for GHEE or clarified butter. Let them heat until sizzling and add the hamburgers and place them down, away from you - don`t just "plonck" them down as you may get splattered by hot fat as you place themin the cooking pan! The critical point is that the fat and hamburgers should remain sizzling at all times, (increase the heat a bit as you add more) - like a buzy bee buzzing but not like a castrated cow - buzz but not squeales! Ouch!

How long you cook on one side before turing over depends upon how thick the hamburgers are. However, it is possible to brown on both sides and then transfer to the oven on a baking sheet to finish cooking. I am asuming here that we are talking about homemade hamburgers and not shop bought or frozen.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Tags
None