Corned beef vs pastrami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I finally had the foresight to make my first corned beef. It's been brining for 10 days. I'll have it ready for New Year's Day. It's 6 pounds and it's really just for two people. I'm wondering if I should divvy it out and make some corned beef and some pastrami. Then I started thinking that pastrami would still make a heck of a reuben, would go great with cabbage and potatoes, and would make some killer hash. Is there any reason I shouldn't just make 6 pounds of pastrami? It will save better smoked anyway, right?

I've made pastrami a few times. I think it's still only recommended keeping for a week in the fridge. It may be smoked, but it isn't dried out. I slice it, eat it for a week, then portion it out and freeze the rest.
As a matter of fact, I was thinking of making some in the very near future. As soon as I get into a store and pick up a corned beef brisket :yum:

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 262
I love corned beef, pastrami, and Montreal Smoked meat, but I have to say, pastrami is my favorite and it does make a great Reuben. My only problem is that since I don't eat a lot of salt/sodium, I am soooo thirsty after I have any of the above for a meal or snack.

I love corned beef, pastrami, and Montreal Smoked meat, but I have to say, pastrami is my favorite and it does make a great Reuben. My only problem is that since I don't eat a lot of salt/sodium, I am soooo thirsty after I have any of the above for a meal or snack.
Try soaking the corned beef for a few hours, drain and simmer in a large pot of water with seasonings like allspice, coriander, and bay leaf.

+1,

or would that be +2 ?

the classic is with pastrami, but i love reubens made with either or both pastrami and corned beef. the only one i won't try is a reuben made with turkey (i forgot what they call it). but it's just not right.

and yes, add some cheese (salty), sauerkraut (salty), and put it in rye bread (a little salty), and i'll drink a gallon or so of water afterwards.

I've made pastrami a few times. I think it's still only recommended keeping for a week in the fridge. It may be smoked, but it isn't dried out. I slice it, eat it for a week, then portion it out and freeze the rest.
As a matter of fact, I was thinking of making some in the very near future. As soon as I get into a store and pick up a corned beef brisket :yum:

Darn that looks good! Pass the mustard please :yum:

+1,

or would that be +2 ?

the classic is with pastrami, but i love reubens made with either or both pastrami and corned beef. the only one i won't try is a reuben made with turkey (i forgot what they call it). but it's just not right.

and yes, add some cheese (salty), sauerkraut (salty), and put it in rye bread (a little salty), and i'll drink a gallon or so of water afterwards.
I rinse my sauerkraut...have never thought to rinse the meat. But, I imagine I will still drink gallons of water because I don't typically add salt and the combination of the cheese, meat, sauerkraut is a lot of salt for one meal for me.

Pastrami goes with pastrami...same with corned beef...love the stuff. Is there a pastrami cologne?

oops, i meant that the classic was made with corned beef, but pastrami or a combo of corned beef and pastrami works just as well in a reuben.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom