"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 201
Corned beef vs pastrami

I finally had the foresight to make my first corned beef. It's been brining for 10 days. I'll have it ready for New Year's Day. It's 6 pounds and it's really just for two people. I'm wondering if I should divvy it out and make some corned beef and some pastrami. Then I started thinking that pastrami would still make a heck of a reuben, would go great with cabbage and potatoes, and would make some killer hash. Is there any reason I shouldn't just make 6 pounds of pastrami? It will save better smoked anyway, right?

__________________

__________________
inchrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I've made pastrami a few times. I think it's still only recommended keeping for a week in the fridge. It may be smoked, but it isn't dried out. I slice it, eat it for a week, then portion it out and freeze the rest.
As a matter of fact, I was thinking of making some in the very near future. As soon as I get into a store and pick up a corned beef brisket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrami.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	16727  
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,337
I love corned beef, pastrami, and Montreal Smoked meat, but I have to say, pastrami is my favorite and it does make a great Reuben. My only problem is that since I don't eat a lot of salt/sodium, I am soooo thirsty after I have any of the above for a meal or snack.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I love corned beef, pastrami, and Montreal Smoked meat, but I have to say, pastrami is my favorite and it does make a great Reuben. My only problem is that since I don't eat a lot of salt/sodium, I am soooo thirsty after I have any of the above for a meal or snack.
Try soaking the corned beef for a few hours, drain and simmer in a large pot of water with seasonings like allspice, coriander, and bay leaf.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
I'll take both.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,775
+1,

or would that be +2 ?

the classic is with pastrami, but i love reubens made with either or both pastrami and corned beef. the only one i won't try is a reuben made with turkey (i forgot what they call it). but it's just not right.

and yes, add some cheese (salty), sauerkraut (salty), and put it in rye bread (a little salty), and i'll drink a gallon or so of water afterwards.
__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...the only one i won't try is a reuben made with turkey (i forgot what they call it). but it's just not right.
It's called a "rachael". My wife loves them, but I agree with you that it's just not right.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've made pastrami a few times. I think it's still only recommended keeping for a week in the fridge. It may be smoked, but it isn't dried out. I slice it, eat it for a week, then portion it out and freeze the rest.
As a matter of fact, I was thinking of making some in the very near future. As soon as I get into a store and pick up a corned beef brisket
Darn that looks good! Pass the mustard please
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
+1,

or would that be +2 ?

the classic is with pastrami, but i love reubens made with either or both pastrami and corned beef. the only one i won't try is a reuben made with turkey (i forgot what they call it). but it's just not right.

and yes, add some cheese (salty), sauerkraut (salty), and put it in rye bread (a little salty), and i'll drink a gallon or so of water afterwards.
I rinse my sauerkraut...have never thought to rinse the meat. But, I imagine I will still drink gallons of water because I don't typically add salt and the combination of the cheese, meat, sauerkraut is a lot of salt for one meal for me.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It's called a "rachael". My wife loves them, but I agree with you that it's just not right.
They call the one made with pastrami a Rachel, too.

Thanks Snips.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef, recipe

Corned beef vs pastrami I finally had the foresight to make my first corned beef. It's been brining for 10 days. I'll have it ready for New Year's Day. It's 6 pounds and it's really just for two people. I'm wondering if I should divvy it out and make some corned beef and some pastrami. Then I started thinking that pastrami would still make a heck of a reuben, would go great with cabbage and potatoes, and would make some killer hash. Is there any reason I shouldn't just make 6 pounds of pastrami? It will save better smoked anyway, right? 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.