"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

If I'm correct and your beef shanks are the same as our beef shin then my grandmother always said that it was the best cut for any casserole or stew. I've used it for everything from everyday beef stew to dinner party boeuf bourguignon via meat and potato pie. Yummy.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

This is what the shanks I buy look like. I look for more meat and less bone.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Same here, when we were kids we called them individual pot roasts.

We used to have them for an inexpensive Sunday dinner instead of a large chuck roast.

I wonder what people will think was inexpensive 40 or 50 years from now!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

mm, you need to post that picture from last night's dinner here too. Yumm Ymmm Ymmm.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I bought some beef shanks at Wholefoods today. I've never even seen beef shanks in the normal grocery stores so I'm excited to try something new. I have a Osso Bucco recipe and a Red Wine Braised recipe that sound good. Both pressure cooker options which rock my world.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe you would recommend.

I've searched and there are some lamb shank recipe's but was not sure if it's a good idea to substitute beef for lamb.

Thanks much.
I don't see why not if you tweak the seasonings and other ingredients and possibly the cooking time. Beef shanks. shin needs l-o-n-g, slow cooking. I usually do mine in the slow cooker or in the oven at 275-300F/140-150C (gas mark 1 or 2 in UK) after bringing it up to temp on the hob. I usually brown mine first to add flavour but you don't have to if you prefer not to.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, the very thing, although ours usually comes boned and if you want it bone-in you usually have to order it in advance. (I think that stems from the "mad cow" scare a few years back.)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
mm, you need to post that picture from last night's dinner here too. Yumm Ymmm Ymmm.

Here we go.

As you can see the meat has literally melted into the sauce. The flavor was so nice and rich. You could really taste that beef. The pressure cooker method works wonderfully with this meat. My shanks looked like those with the marrow bone in the middle. I'm definitely a fan of the beef shank.

BTW, I was so lazy I just cooked the tortellini right in the sauce. A one pan wonder meal. Thanks for everyone's input.

Tags
beef, beef shanks, other, recipe

ISO Beef Shank Recipes I bought some beef shanks at Wholefoods today. I've never even seen beef shanks in the normal grocery stores so I'm excited to try something new. I have a Osso Bucco recipe and a Red Wine Braised recipe that sound good. Both pressure cooker options which rock my world. I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe you would recommend. I've searched and there are some lamb shank recipe's but was not sure if it's a good idea to substitute beef for lamb. Thanks much. 3 stars 1 reviews