"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Senior Cook

How about a good hearty soup?
Cabbage beef is one I like very much. No recipe, just play it by ear.

1lb ground beef
onions
bell peppers
cabbage sliced or diced
garlic
SautÚ together and drain of any excess fat.
Spices of choice. I happen to like basil and thyme.
Add tomato juice
or sauce and water
beef bullion cubes
a can of beans of choice
Make it as thick or thin as you like.
Enjoy. Great on a cold or damp day.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I don't remember if I posted this before or not, but a friend of mine keeps a freezer safe container in her freezer and adds bits and pieces of leftovers until she gets enough to make a pot of soup. She them uses hamburger, cooked and seasoned, or made into mini meatballs and makes a delicious pot of soup. It is always good and different each time.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

I thought I knew everything in the world to do with ground beef, but you all have given me some new ideas! Thank you!

I do have one little hint for y'all. Mix one part sausage of your choice with 2 parts ground chuck. I often use sweet Italian Sausage for Italian things, or hot roll sausage for chili and other Mexican stuff...whatever you want...
Just crumble it up and brown it along with the beef.

I like to do that in a big pasta bowl in the microwave. It cooks it through without making it hard. If you cover the bowl loosely with waxed paper, it won't pop all over the place, and makes little mess.
Then I dump the meat in a colander, work it around with a spoon to get all the grease out. If I'm using pasta or other things that need to be drained, I just dump all over the meat and let it drain.

At that point, you can put all back in the big bowl and continue to nuke if it's appropriate for your dish. I'm all for saving messes.

For chili, it's all different. You've gotta do the whole thing in your big "mother pot".
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Cheesy Bacon Lasagna

Cheesy Bacon Lasagna

2 pounds ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2 pounds sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
24 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
8 cups (32 ounces) shredded Colby cheese

In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bacon, tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar and salt; cook until heated through.

Spread 1 cup meat sauce in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes. Layer four noodles, 1-2/3 cups meat sauce and 1-1/3 cups cheese in each dish. Repeat layers twice.

Cover and bake at 350░ for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Mediterranean Spaghetti

Some of the flavors reminded me a bit of Pastitsio. You could use the pasta of choice, i.e. ziti, elbow macaroni, etc.

Mediterranean Spaghetti

1/2 pound lean ground beef
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes -- undrained
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Feta cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese -- divided
1 large egg
2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs -- divided
4 cups cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375║.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the first 4 ingredients, and sautÚ 5 minutes. Add the wine and next 6 ingredients (wine through tomatoes). Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thick.

Combine the flour, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a medium sauce- pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook for 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove milk mixture from heat. Stir in Feta cheese, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and egg.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs in a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Place 2 cups spaghetti in casserole, and top with 2 cups beef mixture and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers. Combine 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake casserole at 375║ for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired.

Tags
None