"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile ISO - New Ways To Cook Steak

My boys (ages 2, 4, 9) want steak for dinner tomorrow and had said they love the many different ways I have made steak but was wondering since I am trying new recipes if I could find a new one for steak tomorrow and see if it is another keeper. So I have been looking for a new marinade for my steak for tomorrow night. A small easy 4-6 hour marinade or even a 4-6 hour crockpot recipe. If anyone can help me find one that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

What ways have you made steak in the past? Are you talking 'steak' or just beef in general?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

steak in a crock pot would he more of a pot roast.

when i want something other than enjoying a "pure" steak (just s&p, then grilled or broiled steak), i like to mash a load of garlic, mix it with a little evoo and just a pinch of salt, then rub it on the steak about 2 or 3 hours before cooking. wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
at the same, strip the leaves from a bunch of thyme, add to a tbsp of sea or kosher salt, and add in a little cracked black pepper. mix together and set aside.

about a half hour before cooking, take the steaks out of the fridge and wipe off the garlic oil.

when ready to grill or broil, sprinkle a pinch or two of the thyme and s&p mix onto each side of the steak and cook until medium rare, or about 135 to 140 degrees in the center.

hth.

btw, you can always skip the garlic oil step. but if you still want a garlic taste, make a compound butter the day before making the steak by combining browned or baked garlic, softened butter, and salt. wrap tightly and refrigerate.

after cooking your steaks (with or without the thyme s&p), place a chunk of garlic butter on the steak right after removing from the heat so it melts as the steak rests before serving.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Senior Cook

A Marinade I used in a group home where I cooked,'' Where every penny used was like a coin made of gold''. Very simple but the residents liked it was either terriakki sauce with orange or pineapple juice or a bottle of Italian salad dressing with either juices. Could also use apple or cran. whatever your preference ,One reminder all juices are good for red meats but pineapple breaks fibers in poultry into mush. Hope this helps mysterychef.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I like this one.
Mix together equal quantities ( about 1teasp each will do 2 steaks) of dark brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Any smooth mustard would do but I like Dijon. Add a little pepper and salt. Spread over both sides, leave in a covered dish until needed. I drizzle a little oil in the pan to avoid sticking and cook as usual. Delicious

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

One of our favorites for Steak or Chicken is Hawiian style. Rub the meat with ground ginger. Adjust according to how you like ginger. I go medium dusting. Let the meat sit for 30 minutes to an hour and then place in a zip lock bag and add pure pineapple juice. Steaks - let marinate 4-8 hours, overnight will make them so tender that they fall apart. chicken can't go overnight. Great for chicken kabobs too.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

What kind of steak are you using? Ribeye, porterhouse, strip or tenderloin need nothing more than S&P. IMHO, a rub or marinade for these cuts would be a waste of good steak and money.

This works well for lesser cuts.

Marinade for beef
¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup oil
2 T prepared mustard
3 T Worchestershire
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 c ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 T sugar

Simmer onions in oil for 15 minutes. Then add remainder of ingredients, stir, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You have to let this cool before use. I will make a sauce by sauteing some onions, mushies then adding the marinade and bringing to a simmer.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Another way to go would be beef Stroganoff - cut-up beef sautéed with mushrooms and onions and served with a sour-cream-enriched brown gravy. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...b-5b301a8ea317
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Master Chef

Marinade that I've used before is 2 parts pineapple juice, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part worcestershire sauce. Sweet yet tangy. Haven't done it in a long time though since the boys grew up and like their steaks "naked" with only a bit of garlic salt and pepper.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Master Chef

I don't put anything on a good steak prior to cooking.

Three boys, a crock pot, tight budget, no time.

To me that says round steak dredged in seasoned flour, fried and tossed into the crock pot with a can or two of Campbell's soup. It can also be done in the oven or on the stove top. It is easy to change up by using tomato or mushroom soup. You can also add some vegetables to the pot for a stew. I usually stick with just the meat and the soup. Served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or a salad.

Google Campbell's Swiss steak and you will see a recipe variation from every family in America!

Tags
recipe, steak

ISO - New Ways To Cook Steak My boys (ages 2, 4, 9) want steak for dinner tomorrow and had said they love the many different ways I have made steak but was wondering since I am trying new recipes if I could find a new one for steak tomorrow and see if it is another keeper. So I have been looking for a new marinade for my steak for tomorrow night. A small easy 4-6 hour marinade or even a 4-6 hour crockpot recipe. If anyone can help me find one that would be great. Thank you in advance. :chef::smile: 3 stars 1 reviews