ISO - New Ways To Cook Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommas3boys

Assistant Cook
My boys (ages 2, 4, 9) want steak for dinner tomorrow and had said they love the many different ways I have made steak but was wondering since I am trying new recipes if I could find a new one for steak tomorrow and see if it is another keeper. So I have been looking for a new marinade for my steak for tomorrow night. A small easy 4-6 hour marinade or even a 4-6 hour crockpot recipe. If anyone can help me find one that would be great. Thank you in advance. :chef::)

steak in a crock pot would he more of a pot roast.

when i want something other than enjoying a "pure" steak (just s&p, then grilled or broiled steak), i like to mash a load of garlic, mix it with a little evoo and just a pinch of salt, then rub it on the steak about 2 or 3 hours before cooking. wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
at the same, strip the leaves from a bunch of thyme, add to a tbsp of sea or kosher salt, and add in a little cracked black pepper. mix together and set aside.

about a half hour before cooking, take the steaks out of the fridge and wipe off the garlic oil.

when ready to grill or broil, sprinkle a pinch or two of the thyme and s&p mix onto each side of the steak and cook until medium rare, or about 135 to 140 degrees in the center.

hth. :chef:

btw, you can always skip the garlic oil step. but if you still want a garlic taste, make a compound butter the day before making the steak by combining browned or baked garlic, softened butter, and salt. wrap tightly and refrigerate.

after cooking your steaks (with or without the thyme s&p), place a chunk of garlic butter on the steak right after removing from the heat so it melts as the steak rests before serving.

Last edited:
A Marinade I used in a group home where I cooked,'' Where every penny used was like a coin made of gold''. Very simple but the residents liked it was either terriakki sauce with orange or pineapple juice or a bottle of Italian salad dressing with either juices. Could also use apple or cran. whatever your preference ,One reminder all juices are good for red meats but pineapple breaks fibers in poultry into mush. Hope this helps mysterychef.

I like this one.
Mix together equal quantities ( about 1teasp each will do 2 steaks) of dark brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Any smooth mustard would do but I like Dijon. Add a little pepper and salt. Spread over both sides, leave in a covered dish until needed. I drizzle a little oil in the pan to avoid sticking and cook as usual. Delicious

One of our favorites for Steak or Chicken is Hawiian style. Rub the meat with ground ginger. Adjust according to how you like ginger. I go medium dusting. Let the meat sit for 30 minutes to an hour and then place in a zip lock bag and add pure pineapple juice. Steaks - let marinate 4-8 hours, overnight will make them so tender that they fall apart. chicken can't go overnight. Great for chicken kabobs too.

Last edited:
What kind of steak are you using? Ribeye, porterhouse, strip or tenderloin need nothing more than S&P. IMHO, a rub or marinade for these cuts would be a waste of good steak and money.:ohmy:

This works well for lesser cuts.

Marinade for beef
¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup oil
2 T prepared mustard
3 T Worchestershire
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 c ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 T sugar

Simmer onions in oil for 15 minutes. Then add remainder of ingredients, stir, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You have to let this cool before use. I will make a sauce by sauteing some onions, mushies then adding the marinade and bringing to a simmer.

Marinade that I've used before is 2 parts pineapple juice, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part worcestershire sauce. Sweet yet tangy. Haven't done it in a long time though since the boys grew up and like their steaks "naked" with only a bit of garlic salt and pepper.

I don't put anything on a good steak prior to cooking.

Three boys, a crock pot, tight budget, no time.

To me that says round steak dredged in seasoned flour, fried and tossed into the crock pot with a can or two of Campbell's soup. It can also be done in the oven or on the stove top. It is easy to change up by using tomato or mushroom soup. You can also add some vegetables to the pot for a stew. I usually stick with just the meat and the soup. Served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or a salad.

Google Campbell's Swiss steak and you will see a recipe variation from every family in America! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's hard for me to say anything without knowing what type of steak you are talking about, but regardless of the cut, why not skip the marinade and make some sort of pan sauce?

Thank you for all the ideas. I am cooking a tenderloin. I have cooked it in a frying pan with some s&p a little garlic soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce cooked it for about 5 mins per side (depending on how thick cuz hubby like his still mooing lol) and pulled it off the stove poured left over sauce from pan over top of the steak and let it rest then serve. I have also cooked it in the broiler with just a lil s&p rub and have also tried baking it in foil with s&p garlic butter onions Worcestershire, have also cooked in frying pan wit just plain old fashion s&p and have also in frying pan with bbq sauce. Don't have a grill anymore ours broke and looking for a good new one.

Something like a white or cheese sauce would be different then. I like to make a white sauce and add some crumbled blue cheese and asparagus to it. That can jazz up an otherwise run of the mill steak. Or even a sunny side up egg on top. Let the yolk be the sauce. IMO, any sauce or marinade that uses Worcestershire sauce comes out pretty much tasting like Worcestershire sauce, no matter the method. If you break away from that the steak will come out tasting differently just on its own.
And you could pick up a grill pan. I've seen some nice steaks here cooked on a grill pan on the stove.

Thank you for all the ideas. I am cooking a tenderloin. I have cooked it in a frying pan with some s&p a little garlic soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce cooked it for about 5 mins per side (depending on how thick cuz hubby like his still mooing lol) and pulled it off the stove poured left over sauce from pan over top of the steak and let it rest then serve. I have also cooked it in the broiler with just a lil s&p rub and have also tried baking it in foil with s&p garlic butter onions Worcestershire, have also cooked in frying pan wit just plain old fashion s&p and have also in frying pan with bbq sauce. Don't have a grill anymore ours broke and looking for a good new one.

Tenderloins need to be cooked with dry heat so dont but one of those in a crock pot.

Try just uisng salt and pepper and maybe some garlic powder.

As its resting, cook up some sliced button mushrooms in your pan with a little butter. Add some low-sodium beef broth and scrape up alll the brown bits on the bottom of the pan and dissolve them into the broth. maybe add a drop or 2 of Worcestershire sauce since you like that. Reduce the sauce down some and serve.

Or you could sear with just some salt and pepper and top with a compound butter, with is butter to whuch you have added interesting flavors using garlic or herbs and the like. Its real simple.

Here are some recipes: compound butter recipes - Google Search

The blue cheese chive one is very tasty

Thank you so much for all the great sounding Ideas everyone is giving me you are all a great deal of help with new ideas and new twist to different new flavors..

Another thing you could do if you aren't already is change up the sides. I usually cook the same thing with my steak; garlic bread, broccoli or green beans and a baked potato. Every once in a while I make some gnocchi with marinara or some kind of pasta with alfredo sauce to replace the potato because they also compliment a steak dinner well.

Slice a pocket down one side of the tenderloin. Fill with savory bread dressing, or duxcelles, or a crab-meat stuffing.

Or, have you ever made tournedos. Very tasty. The tournado is a small, round steak cut from the end of the tenderloin. It is usually pan-fried in a little oil, and often wrapped around the outside in bacon or cull fat. When It is seasoned with salt & pepper, and often topped with foie gras, or truffles. But for my paycheck, that would be chicken liver pate', or drilled portabelo mushroom caps.

Another great way to serve steak is to top it with a compound butter, or something like Sauce Bercy. Then, there's always Steak Diane. All of these are found easily by doing a Google search.

Tip, cheap steak cuts, such as round steak, skirt steak, and such, is great when grilled to no more than rare, then diced, and pan fried with small dice onion, orange, red, and yellow bell pepper, a chopped jalapeno, Cilantro, and lime juice to make Carne Asada filling for tacos, and burritos. It's one of my favorite ways to use inexpensive steak cuts.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom