"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question ISO Prime Rib Info

Theres a resturant I go to on Tuesdays because they have a noon buffet thats always the same thing, " Roast Beef to Die For " . And it is. The beef is so juicy and moist and theres trays of it, How the heck do they do it ? You'd think they would almost have to boil it to be that moist.

Any help from you wonderful chefs would be appreaciated.

Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Master Chef
I am not expert in cooking prime rib ... but don't boil it. Boiling it with actually dry it out and make it tough.

I have only roasted prime rib and it's come out fine but not

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
3-4 pounds isn't very big. It's almost a very thick steak!

Salt and pepper the exterior and sear it in a very hot pan on both sides. Pop it into a 400F oven and roast until a thermometer registers to 130-135 for medium-rare. Take it out of the pan and cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. The internal temperature should continue to rise for another 5-10 degrees and give you a tasty roast.

While it's resting, you can make a quick pan sauce from the drippings...
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Send a message via Yahoo to cristal
One of my instructors taught us this technique. It takes a little longer but it's worth it I think. The meat will come out very tender and moist.

1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees
2. Season with salt and pepper, pan sear or grill on high until slightly charred
3. Let the meat rest for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Cook in the oven until desired doneness
5. Remove from oven and let rest again for about 5-10 minutes
cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC, Trent.

I adore prime rib. It is one of my favorites. I'm always amazed, when I go to Vegas, to see how many dishes, meat etc, are turned out over time and at one time - even at an all-you-can eat buffet. Lawry's was another, where dish after dish of prime rib was served. I honestly don't know how they do it. If you liked the food, you might try to thank the chef, and ask him/her about the recipe/cooking method. People that love what they do, love talking to people who have the same interests. Let us know your results.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
The first time I cooked a prime rib, I was scared to death. I imagined every possible way I could ruin it..So, I grabbed my The Way to Cook by Julia Child and followed her instructions, my Pprime rib turned out just perfect. I always follow her recipe now and have never had a roast we didn't like. With an expensive cut like this, it's better to be safe than sorry.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Head Chef
Trent, love a standing rib roast. Unfortunately we cannot find prime about here. Usually go with the Black Angus that we can get at the local grocery and is very tender and tasty.

Coat with salt and pepper, maybe a bit of garlic, or Montreal steak seasoning.

We do not sear anymore.

And cook until very rare. There is nothing better and we do it once or twice a year, usually at Christmas.

And then make French onion soup out of the leavings.

But there are other cuts that restaurants make that are tasty and relatively tender.

We go to a racetrack two or three times a year, and they have a buffet, no menus there.

It costs about $20 apiece and is nice, but am not a fan of buffets.

But they do serve beef, sliced as you watch, and it is something called a steamship round.

How they cook a round to be so tender, I have no idea.

But my guess is that if you see slices of of beef on a buffet table for lunch, it is probably not prime rib.

But I have been wrong many times before.

Enjoy the rib roast and God bless.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
I've never had a roast turn out badly with this method. Weigh your roast. 20 minutes per pound in the oven. Turn your oven to 400 for the first 15 minutes and then down to 350 for the rest of the time. Let it rest while you make gravy from the drippings and enjoy.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Head Chef
I got this prime rib recipe years ago - this comes out great every time, its fool proof, just need the time to cook it. I usually make this during the holidays.

Preheat oven to 425
Let rib roast rest on the counter while oven heats up.
Take Lowreys seasoning salt and rub all over the roast. Add fresh cracked pepper. Spray a rack with Pam spray. Place roast on the rack and into a large baking pan. Place about 1/2 c water in the bottom of the pan.
Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
Turn oven off and leave roast in the oven for another 3 hours - do NOT open oven door. After 3 hours, use a meat thermometer to check the roast. You need the meat to be at 140 for medium rare. If the roast isn't at the desired temperature, turn the oven back on to 350 and recheck the meat temp over 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and tent with foil. Let rest 15 minutes and then carve it.

I buy a prime rib and I have my butcher remove the rib bones but tie them back onto the roast (adds alot of flavor). Very easy to carve this way too.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
The best prime rib I have tasted was smoked for some 10 hours or so. No wood, just standard charcoal.

I've not personally tried cooking prime rib myself. Will some day.

Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote