Sloppy Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, that sounds like what I do, well, except for the kidney beans, don't like that kind of beans.

DW doesn't like beans of any kind in her sloppy joe's, so I usually leave them out. I can put them into my recipe though, because she won't eat it. She'll only eat the Campbell's Tomato Soup and ground beef kind.:ermm:

That's ok though. It leaves more for me.

I'd like to see your recipe, taxy. You always make such good stuff.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

DW doesn't like beans of any kind in her sloppy joe's, so I usually leave them out. I can put them into my recipe though, because she won't eat it. She'll only eat the Campbell's Tomato Soup and ground beef kind.:ermm:

That's ok though. It leaves more for me.

I'd like to see your recipe, taxy. You always make such good stuff.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Why thank you Chief.

It's a pretty basic "spaghetti meat sauce". Tomatoes (I use pasata because it comes in glass), tomato paste (I found an organic one that comes in a jar) if it needs to be thicker - not always necessary with pasata, ground beef, browned with onions an garlic and maybe a hot pepper or two. Chopped bell pepper, chopped celery, parsley, oregano, (basil), and if I think of it and have an organic lemon, a slice or three of lemon rind (only the yellow part - I use the potato peeler). There could also be chopped olives in it. I might add some pepper sauce if I didn't add hot peppers or if they were too wimpy. Lots depends on my mood.

I'll have to try adding Worcestershire another time.

Manwich sloppy joe's were pretty much a staple food for us kids when we were little.
Basically it was the only thing Mom would trust us to make on own if she was working late.

My kids refuse to eat that stuff. They prefer mine.

Hamburger - lean
ketchup
dash of mustard
fresh ground pepper
diced sweet onions
diced red & green bell peppers
dash of chili flakes
dark brown sugar or molasses

Cook the hamburger with onions and all the peppers. until fully cooked and tender.
Add the mustard, brown sugar or molasses last. Simmer for a little while on low.

Put on the protective armor and let the kids dig in.

Aunt Bea said:
Do you pick them up and eat them or use a knife and fork?

I'm a coward, I use a knife and fork!

Cheater!

Laughing

If you eat it that way it's just a "Joe"

You only live once. Go for it.

Damn the tomatoes, full speed ahead!

;)

That's an Italian sausage and pepper hoagie!

In the link I shared, it also includes ground beef (among other ingredients), & the sausage is broken up while cooking. Your Giuseppes (sp) sound interesting.

I vaguely remember a recipe called Sloppy Josephines made with ground turkey.

Manwich sloppy joe's were pretty much a staple food for us kids when we were little.
Basically it was the only thing Mom would trust us to make on own if she was working late.

My kids refuse to eat that stuff. They prefer mine.

Hamburger - lean
ketchup
dash of mustard
fresh ground pepper
diced sweet onions
diced red & green bell peppers
dash of chili flakes
dark brown sugar or molasses

Cook the hamburger with onions and all the peppers. until fully cooked and tender.
Add the mustard, brown sugar or molasses last. Simmer for a little while on low.

Put on the protective armor and let the kids dig in.

Like the sound of your recipe Munky :yum:
Might change the chili flakes for cayenne though. Just love cayenne pepper in Sloppy Joe's!

That's an Italian sausage and pepper hoagie!

Sir Loin of Beef, I wanted to ask if you checked out the link, ingredients, pic, & cooking method. A sausage & pepper "hoagie" in my experience, looks like this

sausage and pepper sandwivh - Bing Images

This thread is about sharing a sloppy joe recipe.

If you want to add coca cola, that's up to you. Again, please don't put down members' shared take on the dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry m, you're right. if you want to call crumbled sausage, beef, and peppers a sloppy joe, i guess that's a valid take on it.

i was just agreeing with sir loin and stating my opinion. i wasn't putting you down.

My version of sloppy joes is pretty easy. I cook 2 lbs of hamburger with a diced onion, a couple of cloves of minced garlic and a fine diced bell pepper, with a generous amount of salt and pepper, drain the fat off, then add a small bottle of Cookies BBQ sauce, and a generous dash of hot sauce (I have entire shelves of hot sauce but seem to always go back to Louisianna Hot Sauce, for this). This is pretty much my recipe for pulled pork too, but substituting pork shoulder for the hamburger, and I cook the pork in a crockpot.

I have some leftover meat mixture from last nights nachos and some pico. Maybe I'll make a "Sloppy Jose Torta" with some crema, avacado and queso fresco.:yum:

I don't like the heaviness/glopiness of sloppy joes anymore but i do like this recipe for a lighter sloppy-joe-type sandwich.

Like a Scramburger

1 pound ground beef (or g. round/sirloin, see "I do it..." note)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, place the ground beef with 1 cup water and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up clumps, until meat has lost its pink color. Drain to rinse away fat (I just usually tilt pan and soak up the greasy liquid with a paper towel or I just use the less fatty ground beef and skip the water). To the beef, add the onion and garlic and sauté just until the onion turns clear. Add the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, relish and brown sugar, then add about ¼ cup water (just so mixture is still moist but not runny), add salt and pepper if desired and mix well.

Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve on hamburger rolls. Makes 6 servings.

Back
Top Bottom