Steak, iron griddle and electric hob!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewferg

Assistant Cook
Over the last two nights I've took a interest in cooking steak, bought all the gear and had a bash today. Had two steaks, here's how it played out...

Steak one, coated the steak in virgin olive oil (salt/pepper) and shot it in the pan, immediately starts sticking. Started worrying, reached for the oil, straight on the pan. Holy mother of Jesus, mother! mother! why are we getting raided!

... Lots of smoke.

Fought against the smoke, left it on the griddle for 5 minutes all together, flipping every minute. Off the griddle, let it rest for 3 minutes, while my mother is doing a impression of a fire fighter and I've ripped the smoke alarm off the ceiling, great.

Lots of juices, cut into the steak, medium... Not good enough.

10 minutes cooldown period, back to the drawing board aka Youtube videos.

Steak two, oiled steak, in pan, rotate, no sticking, good... for now.
Went for 4 minutes, rest, cut, medium/rare... Nice but not how I want it...

Long story short, 3 minutes flipping every 30 seconds okay?

I generally grill our steaks outdoors using hardwood charcoal. What material is your pan/griddle made of? Well seasoned cast iron doesn't need oil and never had a sticking issue, even when blackening. Blackening must be done outdoors and the pan has to be "white hot", which requires a propane fueled, cooker.

I generally grill our steaks outdoors using hardwood charcoal. What material is your pan/griddle made of? Well seasoned cast iron doesn't need oil and never had a sticking issue, even when blackening. Blackening must be done outdoors and the pan has to be "white hot", which requires a propane fueled, cooker.

My griddle is made of cast iron.

I salt and pepper heavily and use no oil.

The meat releases when its ready and it doesn't stick.

You do get smoke from the high heat.

Try searing one side, flipping and finishing in a very hot oven.

Last ribeye I cooked in a CI pan, I used lots of S&P, and a bit of avocado oil. I got a surprise flambé. It was one of the best steaks I ever cooked though after I smothered the flames, but would probably not use oil again.

Agree, the steak will release when it's ready, and has a nice crust. No 30 second flipping, and it does need to rest before cutting.

Last edited:
Don't keep flipping the steak! Follow Jennyema's recommendation.

Actually flipping the steak is becoming more the way to ensure proper doneness. Much easier to control the overall cooking process. One method I read was to flip it every 30 seconds. I've tried it and it works quite well.

Actually flipping the steak is becoming more the way to ensure proper doneness. Much easier to control the overall cooking process. One method I read was to flip it every 30 seconds. I've tried it and it works quite well.

Really? I always sear until it releases, usually 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Had not heard about the 30 second flipping!

Last edited:
I've done the 'flip once' method for so long I'm not sure this old dog could learn the new-to-me multi flip technique. :ermm: :LOL:

Agree with you about the grill marks, RF. I don't always get them, but they sure do look great. :)

Last edited:
I did the flip method with rib eyes in my AC tri ply stainless on medium heat (no smoke and less spatter) and it worked like a charm. Good crust, no char, and med rare. I used my Thermapen to ensure doneness. I used a mix of butter and canola oil in the pan and spoon basted a half dozen times on each flip.

Back
Top Bottom