Thick steak grilling times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sedagive

Senior Cook
I picked up a beautiful bone in, Black Angus ribeye tonight and I plan to grill it. It's between 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" thick and I'm afraid it's going to burn on the outside before the inside is cooked. I'm thinking of searing it over high heat and then finishing it off with indirect heat. The only thing is, I don't have a clue as to how long to cook it. I've never grilled a steak this thick before so I'm winging it. I'm grilling on a gas grill.

Sedagive

I picked up a beautiful bone in, Black Angus ribeye tonight and I plan to grill it. It's between 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" thick and I'm afraid it's going to burn on the outside before the inside is cooked. I'm thinking of searing it over high heat and then finishing it off with indirect heat. The only thing is, I don't have a clue as to how long to cook it. I've never grilled a steak this thick before so I'm winging it. I'm grilling on a gas grill.

Sedagive

Shouldn't be a problem, even on a gas grill. This article may help....
Southwest Florida News

If you do the 'reverse sear', as mentioned above, I'm thinking about 45 minutes at the low heat and then about 2 min a side for the sear. Not knowing the BTU's that your grill throws out, that's just an estimate and suggest you use an instant read meat thermometer to monitor the internal temperature.

If I was grilling a steak that thick I would sear it and then switch to a lower heat, not indirect. Lid down and watch for flareups. I can't help you on times either, for the same reason AAB mentioned. Poke it with your finger, look for the meat to spring back. Maybe 20 minutes? But that's a guesstimate on my grill with me cooking :)

Let us know how it came out!

Here's the help I got with my beef question.....

This was the result.... Andy M. told me my roast was just the same as a large steak, and it was, maybe it will help?

Sedagive.....Sear the steak on high heat for a minute or so. Rotate 45* and continue to sear for another minute or so...flip the steak to side two, and repeat the process above. On your gas appliance you can choose to continue to grill direct.. over low heat... or leave your grill on high, and use indirect heat...either way... forget about the Time to cook...use a thermometer...it takes the guess work out of the process. Shoot for 140* in the thickest portion....let it rest for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

For any one that's never tried the "Reverse Sear", you don't know what you are missing.

I was stuck, tried and true, on the standard sear for years and years. My buddy Finney got me to try his way and I've never looked back. I do that method now exclusively with steaks, chops, chicken breasts, burgers, etc. They are much more juicier this way.

Speaking of "searing", THIS is a sear :rolleyes:

img_678216_0_e7420190d033e9dc10a3daa7cd97bbab.jpg

For any one that's never tried the "Reverse Sear", you don't know what you are missing.

I was stuck, tried and true, on the standard sear for years and years. My buddy Finney got me to try his way and I've never looked back. I do that method now exclusively with steaks, chops, chicken breasts, burgers, etc. They are much more juicier this way.

Much more juicier?
That must mean they are triple juicy :LOL:

I would never discount your advice and I know I'm going to give that way a try in the near future. Thanks for the info, AAB :)

I've been meaning to try the reverse sear method.

As far as the ribeye goes, I would have cut it into 2 steaks and had them done in 10 or so minutes.

How did it come out anyway?

Back
Top Bottom