"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Uncle Bob, These are not baby back.
Miss Elaine....

Not a problem, but they will take a little longer to cook. I still recommend low temperature (225*) until 190* or so in the thickest portion. Basting every thirty minutes would be good. When you foil ribs, with or without addtional liquids added you are in effect braising/steaming. This can be done, and creates tender meat. It's just not a product/taste that I personally care for.
However; you could cook unwrapped for a couple of hours, then wrap for say an hour, and then finish them unwrapped adding the sauce towards the very end. When the meat pulls back from the bone between 1/4 to 1/2 inch they should be good to go. If they are not loin back (baby backs) then they are Spare Ribs! My personal favorite!! They are a little more challenging, but well worth the extra effort in time etc. The pay off for me is a superior taste/flavor, plus I like the texture of the meat better...Yum!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Head Chef

Okay Uncle Bob. I am going with your suggestions! Wish me luck!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Okay Uncle Bob. I am going with your suggestions! Wish me luck!
You will do just fine Miss Elaine...Shoot for the 190*+ temperature. Allow yourself plenty of time...Lets say 5 hours. It probably want take that long, but you don't want to be rushed to have dinner ready! If they finish ahead of time thats ok...just loosely "tent" with foil until it time to eat! In fact they will probably improve with a little rest time...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

I love them this way. I use a sauce made from ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion, tobasco--Kind of a sweet/sour thing with a little bite.

Just put the ribs on a rack, coat with the mixture and put in the oven. Cover and roast. Baste every so often.. Sometimes I will add pepperoni to the mix too. It also tastes great on Chicken.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Friend of mine that cooks at a local place (Not a BBQ joint) tells me they put them in large pans on racks with water beneath them. Wrap tightly in foil, pierce several times, then into a 250º oven for 60 – 75 minutes. When ordered they pop them under the broiler for a few minutes, sauce and serve. It’s not traditional BBQ but they sell a fair amount of them with no complaints.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I've used Alton's method several times, always come out great..I don't use his rub recipe exactly..but the method is perfect.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #17
Cook

I would use Uncle Bob's ideas on previous post. He made some very good suggestions that will give you great ribs. All, I can add is to remember the golden rule of ribs: "Slow and Long" (cook at low temp for a long time).
Old 12-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Head Chef

I am going to make ribs again tomorrow. The came out great last time cooking them at 225 in the oven. What I don't remember is how long in took. I have one slab this time. I am thinking of serving them at lunch for a friend. Any guesses how long it will take?

Tags
None