ISO Belly pork slices help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
I have 2 large belly pork slices in the freezer. Suggestions please as to a good way to serve them?:)

Would this be the same as a pork picnic? This is what we have on sale in the place of corned beef for St. Patrick's meal.

OH, you guys!! I just saw the Emeril show that I "sited" above. I cannot WAIT to do this pork belly--and every other thing he did on this show. It was gorgeoous looking to the taste buds. HIGHLY recommend it.

Pork belly? No offense but that sounds yucky to me. I can do a pork tenderloin, a pork roast, pork chops, but a belly? Why?:ermm: Someone enlighten me please.

Pork belly is what bacon is--but cured and smoked. Fresh pork belly is succulent and special, but needs the proper preparation. It is a well kept secret that is beginning to seep out. Hard to find. I can only find it in our ethnic markets.

Candocook said:
Pork belly is what bacon is--but cured and smoked. Fresh pork belly is succulent and special, but needs the proper preparation. It is a well kept secret that is beginning to seep out. Hard to find. I can only find it in our ethnic markets.

I like bacon :)

Well if you like bacon, look for jowl bacon...mighty fine for cooking with. the Italians know all about it.

my first thought was korean. make or buy a korean pork marinade similar to bulgogi, then grill or pan fry. serve with bean paste, hot sauce, and lettuce leaves for wrapping.

or use a hunk to make kale (or the green you have on hand) and bean soup. render some fat from it, sweat diced carrots, onion, celery, add greens, beans and stock, dice pork and add to soup.

What Andy said about the Emeril show. Saw it also and the pork belly looked absolutely WONDERFUL. Can't wait to do it. But rich rich rich!! That entire show was quite good.

Robo410 said:
Well if you like bacon, look for jowl bacon...mighty fine for cooking with. the Italians know all about it.

I love jowl bacon, thanks for reminding me of it, will have to get some !! :pig:

Robo410 said:

Love Jowl bacon ! used to get it years ago pretty cheap, little expensive now - thats if you can find it !

CSalt, I cut the Rind off mine, and make Pork Rind scratchin`s with em (as a UKer you`ll know Scratchin`s).

I just salt and pepper mine and shove them under the grill until browned on both sides and serve it with savory rice and a dip.

although if you want to get Fancy, you can blitz them up and make Pork pies with them too, I`ve done that also :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom