"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

I don't know the exact recipe, my all my life I have loved my mother's apple pork chops. She cores the apple, cuts it in half across the core so that there is a hole through the middle. She arranges the chops in a single layer in a baking pan, puts an apple half on each one, and I think a dollop of brown sugar in the hole in the apple, and then bakes them till the chops are done. Then comes the best part.... she makes gravy for mashed potatoes from the drippings which have that apple tang... marvelous. Use a tart apple (winesap or granny smith), not delicious or some other sweet ones.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
Cook

Me too!

Haha I guess alot of people like apples and pork, because i love it. My mom makes these delicious pork chops (I dont hae the recipe), and i would always dip them in applesauce. I will try baking apples as that sounds pretty good with the gravy and mashed potatos and all. I also wanted to know if there is something else that is good with pork, any suggestions?

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

in no particular order, I think these also go well with pork

black beans
peaches (see Jamie Oliver's recipe for pork roast stuffed w/peaches)
rice
pineapple
braised in chili sauce and red wine w/onions (my mom's specialty)
Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #14
Cook

Oh thanks a whole lot mudbug. I think I'm going to use some of this really expensive black rice that I got a little while ago with the pork and apple. Also I was wondering what book the jamie oliver recipe was from, I have a couple and wated to see if I could look it up.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #15

I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you mitchy on the Kitchenaid forum?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

mitch, I'm not sure where to find Jamie's recipe. I saw him make it on TV and it looked abfab. You could google it, probably.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #17
Cook

hehe no choclatechef i'm not, just a quincidence. And also thanks mudbug ill try one of the food tv websites.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_the_chef
I think it was about an inch thick. I also think i got braising mixed up sorry I keep making mistakes today. Anyway I put it on a pan on the stovetop and filled it with applejuice almost to the top of the porkchop and added the rosemary, salt and pepper. It was on meidium high heat.
Sounds like you were somewhere between boiling and stewing.

There are a LOT of ways to cook pork chops with apples - as others have noted. But, using your recipe - sear the chops on each side for about 2-3 minutes, add 1-2 cups applejuice (it shouldn't be more than 1/4 up the side of the chops - helf that would be okay), when the juice comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and slap the lid on ... let it simmer (braise) for about 15-20 minutes.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #19
Cook

Thanks Mike, sounds good.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

RP - would you mind getting that recipe from your mom? That sounds like one of those "ulitmate comfort foods"!

Mitch, I am so impressed with your hunger for knowledge! You must also be a very good student in school. Good job, buddy.

Tags
None