"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Loins are the great big 7 lb or larger things. They are very lean and dry out easily. They are best butterflied open, stuffed, rolled and tied. Tenderloins are those cute little roasts that are oh so tender and make wonderful tender juicy medallions. Don't overcook. I never use a meat thermometer. I go by touch.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Loins are the great big 7 lb or larger things. They are very lean and dry out easily. They are best butterflied open, stuffed, rolled and tied. .
I disagree with that statement. There are all kinds of ways to cook them whole w/o them being dry. Brining is one. Cuban style using a mojo type marinade and then rubbing a garlic/herb paste and placing the onions from the marinade on top are another. There are a myriad of other ways as well. The cook just has to watch the roast and not let it overcook.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with medtran. Pork loin is delicious in lots of ways as long as it's not overcooked.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
Senior Cook

What strength salt solution and for how long would you brine medallions before pan frying/sauting them?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting. Every time I hear someone talk about pork loin, I assume they know the difference between loin and tenderloin and mean the loin, unless they say something that specifically indicates confusion.
Sorry, I have never seen a piece of loin that is 12" long and 4-5" in diameter, weigh only 1-1.5 lbs. A tenderloin I can see in that weight and size range.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
What strength salt solution and for how long would you brine medallions before pan frying/sauting them?
I wouldn't brine pork tenderloin medallions, would just season with S&P and anything else you might want, dust with flour and brown in butter on each side, remove from pan and then make whatever kind of sauce is going with them.

Probably wouldn't brine pork loin medallions either. Medallions are just too thin and take too short of a time to cook to even bother with brining.

We particularly like to brine thick (1-1/4+) pork chops and I don't really measure anymore, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups water/1 cup of ice cubes depending on how salty you like your food. I usually throw in some brown sugar or molasses and some thyme or cumin or whatever for the flavor profile I'm looking for. I usually let them brine for anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours depending on when I remember to do them and how much time I have before dinner. Brining for even a short while helps keep thicker pork chops from drying out and adds flavor to the meat from the salt.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Sorry, I have never seen a piece of loin that is 12" long and 4-5" in diameter, weigh only 1-1.5 lbs. A tenderloin I can see in that weight and size range.

"The guy" cooking it said it was 1 1/2 lb. It was my estimation from seeing it on TV that it was 12 inches long and 4-5" diameter.

It was clearly my mistake.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You're right, I should have thought that through more. And as Carol said, I shouldn't assume.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I agree, except I've never seen a pork tenderloin more than 3" thick, and not usually that thick at the thick end.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a pork tenderloin that was almost 4" thick on one end.
It turns out they came two to a package and I didn't realize that until I cut it to size and went to open it up for stuffing

Tags
other, pork, pork loin