"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #61
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I had actually never done anything with a pork shoulder before doing this recipe.

Pork shoulders are not very inspiring but they are cheap (in the UK anyway), and this recipe is a terrific way of getting the best out of them.

I can quite honestly say that pulling the meat off a properly cooked shoulder is a genuinely pleasant thing! (You get to snaffle some as you go....) Oops, did I say that out loud?
Snaffling is a pork pulling requirement.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Snaffling is a pork pulling requirement.
Is it?

Another thing I have learned today.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I had actually never done anything with a pork shoulder before doing this recipe.

Pork shoulders are not very inspiring but they are cheap (in the UK anyway), and this recipe is a terrific way of getting the best out of them.

I can quite honestly say that pulling the meat off a properly cooked shoulder is a genuinely pleasant thing! (You get to snaffle some as you go....) Oops, did I say that out loud?
For that very reason I plan a different meal for the day I make pulled pork. By the time I am finished, I have no room left for dinner.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is true. Snaffling is required.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

gg, this looks great! i'm gonna have to try it.

it's very similar to my crock pot pulled pork recipe. very few differences: i don't use cumin or chili powder, add red pepper flakes, and mustard.

it's amazing how well vinegar braises a pork shoulder, huh?

btw, you now have the garlic listed twice.

and i don't cut mine in half, which brings to mind: does the recipe call for a boneless shoulder roast?

i was thinking that most pork shoulders that i see are bone in, either picnic (upper portion, more skin and bone, ham-ier taste, aka california picnic), or butt (more meat, less bone, no skin but maybe a fat cap, aka boston butt).

what do you use?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #66
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

btw, you now have the garlic listed twice.
Fixed now, although I don't think you can have too much garlic on pork.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks.

and yes. 2x wouldn't probably be a bad thing.

unless you are henrietta hornblower from hampshire here on holiday!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

I use the butt. I'll get either boneless or bone-in, whichever is on sale. And yes, I am a vinegar fiend. Love the stuff and what it does to food.

Thanks, PF.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks.

and yes. 2x wouldn't probably be a bad thing.

unless you are henrietta hornblower from hampshire here on holiday!!!
And who, pray tell, is Henrietta Hornblower from Hampshire??
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #70
Master Chef

First time using your recipe GG, and I have questions. Have you ever made this using a boneless pork loin? I'm just not a fan of fat (I could never do the Keto diet!) because I get a greasy feeling in my mouth. It took me over an hour to carefully separate the meat from the fat as I shredded it. Of course I'll completely understand if switching cuts messes up the entire taste profile, so then I'll continue to pick-pick-pick whenever I make it. Also wonder if you have ever subbed 1/4 to 1/2 of the vinegar with either beer or Boubon.

I'm not a fan of cumin, and I was almost out of chili powder, so I subbed in bucky's suggested red pepper flakes (a scant tsp) and Colman's mustard (a generous tsp). My white pepper smelled like horse manure (that can't be right) so I used ground chipotle for extra smokiness.

In the end, it still turned out good. As in "Himself ate soo much he was overfull" good. Shame on him.

Tags
recipe, pork, slow cooker

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork [B][SIZE=3]Slow Cooker Pulled Pork[/SIZE][/B] [B]Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)[/B] 4 tablespoons smoked paprika 2 tablespoons table salt 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon ground white pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container. [B]Pork [/B] 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast 1 yellow onion 1 cup apple cider vinegar Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over). Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce. Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings. 3 stars 1 reviews