Using Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I bought an 8 Lb chunk of Pork Butt. I was going to smoke/slow cook some for barbeque meat. Being that it is just for me and DH what other things can I do with it?

Carnitas
I simmer my mine with bay and onion and some chicken broth until done and then shred with a fork and bake for an hour with some of the liquid and a couple of oranges (squeezed) Great for tacos.

I just bought one of a similar size that I'm going to smoke in my stovetop smoker for barbecue. It's awesome and is good enough to fool many of the 'cue critics here in western Kentucky. Can't wait, but I have to make some homemade hamburger buns to put it on...then, it'll be "to die for.";)

An 8-pounder can take 12 hours to reach an internal temperature around 190F-200F. It doesn't have to have smoke the whole time but it should cook at a temp of around 225F to 250F.

BBQ pork pizza. Use some bbq sauce as replacement for the tomato sauce, your pork, and some shredded jack cheese.

You bet, cheap too. I just finished cooking, eating and freezing 7 pounds worth which cost me $7!

My New Mexican cousin would say green chili stew (roast poblamos or Annaheims and yummy! If you decide to do it, just yell and I'll go find her recipe)

Slice thinly to add to ham and pickles and make a Cuban sandwich.

Make up a cup or two of rice, add an can of beans. Very healthy, nutritious meal.

OOOoooh! I have some pork butt in the freeezer. I'm shopping tomorrow so I'll get the rest of the ingredients to make Cubans. I Looooove Cubans.

Thanks for the great idea!

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I ended up cooking it in the slow cooker with a bottle of Stubbs pork marinade. Barbeques for lunch today and corn tortilla enchiladas for tomorrow's lunch. The rest I put in Food Saver bags and froze. Claire, I would love the stew recipe.

Goodweed posted a great slow cooker recipe for using a pork butt. It was a great hit with the homemade barbecue sauce he included. A good roll, some cole slaw, and life is good. A cold beer helps, too.

Back
Top Bottom