"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Elk recipe help

My neighbor gave us two elk roasts, thin like an English pot roast. I have never cooked elk b4 and was hoping that I could get some ideas regarding spices/herbs and cooking time from some of you wild game experts!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

maderia wine and crushed black pepper ... cook med rare to medium ... awesome!
serve with mushrooms, wild rice pilaf, green veg or salad with pears nuts and cheese.

enjoy

Old 09-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Head Chef

You can cook it like you would a beef roast and it will taste great!!! In fact I think it tastes better than beef and I love beef.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Robo410.......That sounds so good. Love roonies and pilaf, a meal in itself!

Shunka......Thanks, not afraid to thaw it out now. Will be cooking it this weekend. You reside in AZ! My son is in his 3rd year at a university near Prescott. It's a beautiful state. I loved the police positioned b4 and after road construction! Here in MI they never watch the construction sites and people are cutting in all the time causing big delays!

Thanks for your help, can't wait to pepper that roast and start it cooking!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hubby says stroganof!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
You can replace the venison in most deer meat recipes with Elk, I've read. A hearty stew with dumplings and root veggies might be nice

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Head Chef

silentmeow, how did the roasts turn out? BTW, I live just over 50 miles north of Prescott and am familiar with Yavapai College.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

I have a friend who lives in Utah, and he goes elk hunting every year. I've never eaten elk, but he says it is even better than venison.
I'm anxious to hear how your roast turns out.

My favorite way to do venison roast is to chunk it up in serving size pieces and put in the crockpot with a packet of onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Add whole baby carrots, canned whole potatoes sliced in half, and frozen brussels sprouts or flat Italian green beans (Roma). Cook for another hour. It makes it's own gravy, and it won't be greasy because the venison is so lean. You may think you don't like canned potatoes, but they work great in the crockpot. They soak up the juices, and have no canned taste at all. It's so hard to get fresh potatoes done in the crockpot.

For those of you who hold canned soup and dried soup mixes in disdain...just taste this dish, and tell me you don't like it.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Senior Cook

The elk roasts were wonderful, not the gamey taste of venison! I was astounded by the lack of fat in the meat! Took several sprays of the olive oil! I did love the flavor, wish I was "out west" and it was readily available! My son just returned to college. He's at Embry Riddle in Prescott. He's getting a great education I believe after reading the info but it's still quite a distance. I have trouble seeing him only twice a year, guess it's a Mom thing! The neighbors gave us more elk burger and what a fantastic burger! I love it! Thanks for the input, sorry I don't get here more often, I like it here, thank you all.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow
The elk roasts were wonderful, not the gamey taste of venison!
The venison we have here doesn't taste gamey if you clean it properly, unless you get ahold of an old buck. The animals we have here feed off of corn and soybeans, fattening up at the expense of our farmers. We have LOTS of deer.

Tags
None