"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Turtle Sauce Picante

from our friends in the Atchafalya Basin of Louisiana..........

3-4 lbs turtle meat (so use the roo or croc instead)
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper
two 8-oz cans tomato sauce
one 6 oz can tomato paste
one 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes (available in OZ?)
salt and pepper
roux

Make a roux (one cup cooking oil and one cup flour). Stir constantly on medium heat, don't burn it. When it turns brown, add the onion and pepper. Keep stirring. Add the tomatoes, keep stirring, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add 15-16 cups of water. Cook this sauce for about 4 hours. (drink a few beers - mudbug). The longer it cooks the better. Add more water if you need to.

Brown the turtle meat (roo, croc) and add it to the sauce after if has cooked for at least a couple of hours. cook until meat is good and tender, then serve over rice.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Thanks MudBug, that sounds so delish, Next time I get Roo or Croc, I will definately give this one a go, Ive never tried Turtle though, what is it like, It is another different thing that I must try,.
Thanks once again, Spiritwolf.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

G'day, Spirit. Turtle meat is a dark, tender, tangy meat in my experience.

If you can't find it, at least you've got a nice sauce for whatever beast you're cooking.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
G'day, Spirit. Turtle meat is a dark, tender, tangy meat in my experience.

If you can't find it, at least you've got a nice sauce for whatever beast you're cooking.

Oh, I do enjoy me a good Sauce Piquant! I am also reminded of a nice turtle soup with a wee bit of Sherry...I do think the "roo" would be better served up on the "barbie" however.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Head Chef

Have had gator meat, both the ribs and as nuggets (yep, made just like the stuff sold at Mickey D's).

Was kinda bland and uninteresting. We could have easily bought gator meat ourselves when we lived in FL, but didn't.

Was just wondering if one could make croc/gator meat with a Buffalo wing recipe.

Seems like ti might work, but if it would be any better than good old chicken wings I have no idea. But one could always call them croc wings I guess and start a whole new food fad in Australia.

Course would probably call them Sydney wings, or Adelaide wings, or Canberra wings, something like that.

Just a random thought.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Thanks everyone for your quick replies, Uncle Bob, I love your Turtle soup with Sherry idea, I LOVE SHERRY, it sounds very different and delish, hopefully I will get the chance to try it someday. Also I must say my favourite way to cook Roo at the moment is the "Good ol' Barbie" we do just about everything on the BBQ, you cant beat that taste, YUMMMM, I also love marinating it in a Smokey BBQ marinade, I forget the name of it, but I know it tastes great and that smell , you will never forget the smell or the taste, it is soooo good, once tried,you will always go back for more, it will become a favourite way of cooking. Now I remember the name, Its Smokey Hickory, I love it. I knew I would think of it sooner or later.
Ok thanks everyone, will talk again soon, see ya!
Love Spiritwolf.

Tags
None