"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Computer Tricks

What are some of your favorite computer tricks?
Here is one of mine.

When typing a web address into the location bar are you sick of having to type the www. part and the .com part? Try this instead. Lets say you want to go to Discuss Cooking. Type discusscooking without the www. and without the .com. Once you type discusscooking hold down the ctrl key and hit enter. http://www. will automatically be added before whatever you typed and .com will automatically be added at the end of whatever you typed. Note this technique will only work with .com addresses (not .net or .edu or any others). There is a way to do this with non .com addresses, but I don't remember off the top of my head what it is. Give it a shot. You will never want to type www. again :)

Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Master Chef

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is such a great trick! Thanks, GB!

Old 02-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to nicole
GB how did you find that out?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks GB! I do so appreciate any 'short cuts' no matter what they are. Just the fact that you thought of us makes me feel so grateful. Something one gets used to everyday but fails to consider others. Like opening a door for someone else. Every effort someone offers is appreciated. I do thank you and will try to remember to just type the address, hit control and enter. Have to repeat this several times in my mind in order to do it.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure guys!

Nicole, I am not sure how I found that one out. It might have been on a TV show, or perhaps online somewhere. I have been using that trick for years so I don't really remember exactly. I am lucky if I can remember what I did last week
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to nicole
well, it's true. Your learn something new everyday. Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
Head Chef

Now that is great GB thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Well, I'm using a laptop these days more than my desktop, so I'm really getting used to keyboard shortcuts.

When working with a word processor or image editing software, F12 will open the Save As dialog. <Ctrl><S> will save the file into the root directory it came from. <ctrl><left arrow> will advance the insertion point to the left, at the start of the word. <ctrl><right arrow> does the same thing, in the opposite direction. <Shift><arrow key> will highly text in the direction of the arrow key one character at a time. <Ctrl><shift><arrow> highlights text a word at the time, in the direction of the arrow key used.

Whenever you upload an image to the internet, either through an image hosting service or a different BBS that offers photo hosting, when the upload dialog box comes up and you can "browse" through the files, start typing the name of the fileee, and all files matching the letters you type will popup, you can then use a down-arrow key or up-arrow key to select the one you want.

A similar thing happens with the address bar of a web browser. Start typing a URL you recently typed in, and it should give you the URL you previously typed. You can use the up- and down-arrow keys to select the right one.

If you take LOTS of pictures and store them on your computer, use the date the picture (yyyy/mm/dd format) was taken as the first part of the name of the image. I.e., if I took a picture today of my son Logan, I would name it 20050216Logan.jpg. Windows will automatically sort the files in descending order, so the older files are first.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Sous Chef

my tricks - I'd rather switch than fight

Not "tricks" but ...

Don't use IE (Internet Explorer) as your browser. Switch to the free browser from http://www.mozilla.org/ - more secure, more flexible. (BTW, it can import all your IE bookmarks).

Don't use Microsoft's Office Suite (eg: Word, Excell, PowerPoint). Switch to the free office suite from http://www.openoffice.org/ - more secure, has an excellent word processor, spreadsheet and presentation manager and is more than ample for a home user. (BTW, can open files created using Microsoft's Office Suite).
Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Anyone else use Mozilla???