Today's Funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are selling less than a pound of bacon fat for $6.99 on special. Isn't that more expensive than bacon? That's pretty funny.

I'm another person who keeps bacon fat. I'm pretty sure my mum did too. I think it's fairly normal to keep bacon fat, but I know people who feel a stigma about doing it. They feel that people will think only poor people do that.

Bacon fat is an essential ingredient in old fashioned molasses cookies. 🐷🐷🐷

Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies

2 ¼ cups sifted AP flour
2 t baking soda
1 T ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
½ t ground cloves
½ t ground nutmeg
¼ t salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup black strap molasses
½ cup leftover coffee
1/2 cup bacon fat
1 large egg

Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Beat sugar and bacon grease until fluffy; add molasses and egg beat until well blended. Add dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Drop on ungreased baking sheets and bake for approx. 15 minutes in a 350f preheated oven. Test with a clean broom straw or toothpick. Yield approx. 18 large cookies.
Comments:
I use a yellow handled 1 ¾ ounce disher to portion these. You can form a golf ball sized ball of batter using a tablespoon if a disher is not available. Allow room for these cakelike cookies to spread. I usually allow nine to a pan and bake in two batches.
If bacon fat is not available use vegetable shortening or margarine. Butter is not recommended.
Water may be substituted for coffee.
My mother used to sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the dough before placing the pan into the oven.

I think it's sad and funny at the same time! WoW, Aunt Bea, don't think I've ever seen a baking recipe with bacon fat much less 1/2 cup!

Lol, saved it and now I'll have to start saving up more fat. Might have enough by Christmas unless I sneak upstairs and steal some from DIL. :whistling

animals12.jpg

Can you imagine the whining? No internet or phones like today, no video games like today, no tablets, and certainly no desktops or laptops like today. OMG!

Depends on how close the nearest mall is with an arcade.
and if they finished mowing the neighbours grass (summer) or shoveling the snow (winter) for their pocket money! :LOL:,

Speaking of which, what did you do for pocket money "back in the day"

Back
Top Bottom