"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Looooooooooong time ago, I was travelling with several other students and we were to stay at the house of one of us. His mother had no idea when we would show up, but she had dinner well in hand:

Meatballs were made and browned ahead of time so she just warmed them up.

Then she cooked a couple of bags of frozen limas-drained them and mixed them with the meatballs and lots of sour cream and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

The whole thing went in the oven for a few minutes to finish warming and was devoured quickly.

Very good, very easy and very flexible for the late arrivals.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Browsing through the posts, I didn't see many seafood casseroles, so here's my contribution!

Shrimp and Crab casserole

1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 (6-ounce) can crabmeat, picked free of any broken shells
1 (4-ounce) can medium shrimp
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup buttered cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium casserole dish or medium glass baking dish with butter.
In a large bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, and celery. Add the crabmeat and shrimp, and then the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, tossing gently with a plastic spatula to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle crumbs and cheese over top. Bake until a golden brown crust develops, about 30 minutes.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

This one for lamb shanks, marinated with sage and orange, was given by a Christchurch NZ chef on the radio one day. I've made it several times and it is pretty darn good.

http://www.cookingdownunder.com/courses/meat/rm099.htm

I also like Boeuf Bourguignonne.

Cheers
\
Old 05-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #54
Senior Cook

I have a tendency of doing "whats in the fridge" casseroles. The two that I do the most with actual planning is cabbage roll casserole, which is just all the ingredients of cabbage rolls layered in my pyrex (for those who say they don't like cabbage rolls like DH) and pasta, usually shells, sliced italian sausage, curds, tomato/pasta sauce, topped by melted cheese... DH loves that one, he calls it pasta poutine because of the melted curds that I mix in.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #55
Executive Chef

lamb

Thanks for offering this recipe. Just in time, I happened to get some good lamb shanks yesterday and will try this. Of course, around here has to be 'special' occasion. It doesn't seem people around here care for lamb and is bit pricey. I have once heard it is easy to digest. The fact you tried and liked it, is security that it is good. Prefer tried 'n true.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #56
Master Chef

Here's one of our family favorites that I think you will enjoy:

Sausage and Noodles

2 lb bulk pork sausage
1 lb wide egg noodles
2 can cream mushroom soup
2 can mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh parsley; chopped
milk, salt & pepper; to taste
1/2 lb Velveeta; sliced
paprika

In large pasta bowl, break up sausage and cook till pink is gone. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until almost Done. Drain sausage in large colander, mashing with fork to remove grease. Dump pasta and mushrooms into colander over sausage. When all is well drained, return to pasta bowl. Stir in soup and parsley. (You may substitute 1 tbl dried parsley) Add enough milk to make mixture moist but not soupy. Adjust seasoning. Microwave untill warmed through. Cover top with slices of Velveeta. Dust top with paprika. Return to microwave, and cook till cheese is melted. *If you wish, before warming through, you may divide into 2 or more smaller bowls and freeze some. *You may substitute roll sausage for bulk. *You may add fresh or frozen broccoli to boiling noodles about half way through cooking.
You can do this in the oven also. Just put in baking dishes...it's a big batch, so you can eat one and freeze one.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #57
Master Chef

This is one of my extreme favorites. It works as a side dish or a main dish, & I make it frequently.

POTATOES ITALIANO BAKE (adapted from 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian)

1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 24-ounce or so package frozen Potatoes O'Brien (frozen diced potatoes mixed with onion & peppers), thawed
2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, or dried & reconstituted - chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
8-ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Coarsely dice artichokes. In a large frying pan, heat artichoke marinade over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in thawed potato mixture, sun-dried tomatoes, & diced artichoke hearts. Remove from heat & let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, cayenne pepper, mozzarella, & egg. Scrape mixture into a generously greased 2-quart baking dish & cover tightly with foil.

Bake 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender & casserole is piping hot. Remove foil & bake until lightly browned on top. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. If served hot, can be spooned out; if at room temp can be cut into squares.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #58
Executive Chef

bc

Sounds really different! Will give this try soon. Also would like to check the book you mentioned about vegetables. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #59
Master Chef

Breezy, that sounds fantastic...thank you for sharing!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #60
Cook

Greenbean!!!!! So simple and so wonderful

Tags
None