How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.

Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.

Milford....if you want to slow cook your corned beef in a Crock Pot, don't put the potatoes, carrots and cabbage in at the same time. The veggies will be mush by the time the corned beef is done. Add the veggies within the last 2 hours or so of cooking time - with the exception of the cabbage, that should be added within the last few minutes.

There are lots of different ways to pull together a corned beef dinner and Crock Pot cooking isn't what I would do...I would roast the meal....but that's just my two cents worth. :)

Last edited:
I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.

I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.

Slow cook it. :LOL: We are here to HELP! I think people just offering you other suggestions and they don't mean any harm.
I'll help you eat it, or if you just want me to taste test it. :yum:;) I love a good corned beef. Where the heck did you get a 5 lb corned beef? That would be heaven.

Done! Since this was my first time with Corned Beef in a Crockpot, it almost turned out perfect. I gave the meat 6 hrs on High. Then added some Baby Reds,(Mountainking brand). Their website said they can stand up to cooking and stews. Nope. Just over an hour and the potatoes were turning to mush. I removed the potatoes, then added the cabbage and let that go for an hour. That turned out great. Just need to find a different potato or time it better.
Oh, and the Corned Beef...the seasoning packet was a joke. Looked like 1/2 tsp. of mustard seed, nothing else. Luckily I had a bottle of McCormick Pickling Spice and used a Tb. Oh, the aroma from the Crockpot. And after 8 hrs, the Corned Beef flat was about half the original size. Oh well. Told my wife I'm ready to try it again.

Last edited:
I cook it in a cast iron dutch oven. Cook the meat in a 275°F oven for about 2½ hours, then remove the meat from the oven and roast potatoes and carrots at 400° till done. While they are cooking, set the beef aside covered with foil and cook cabbage in the broth, then mix in the roasted veggies.

Slice meat and arrange on platter with meat in the middle and veggies around the outside, broth in a bowl to be spooned over as each diner likes it.

I do it all on top of the stove. Depending on the size of the corned beef cook time will vary I put the meat in water with the spices bring to a boil then a medium simmer,till done, I remove it and put in the potatoes , when almost done add carrots and cabbage and just before they are done I add the meat back in till veggies are completely done. No pressure cooker, no crockpot. Has come out great for 40 yrs. leftovers are great . cast iron fry in butter the leftovers to reheat with onions and little garlic mmmm. also next day cut up corn beef onions fry it up and then put a over easy egg on top yum!

Pressure cooker.

The title of this thread is “How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?”
No mention of Slow cooker in title.
No need to get snippy when someone answers the question. JMHO

Milford, it shouldn't be surprising that for the most part our membership isn't devoted to crockpots. Many, if not most of us, like to be active and in control of cooking creations.

Milford, it shouldn't be surprising that for the most part our membership isn't devoted to crockpots. Many, if not most of us, like to be active and in control of cooking creations.
+1 :chef:

Gee. I thought the Title of THIS forum was called..."Slow Cookers" not Cast Iron, not Microwave, not Pressure Cooker, not Toaster Oven.

If I ask for help in the "Slow Cooker" forum. Common courtesy would mean someone can answer me with a Slow Cooker answer. Not..."Cook it in a Cast Iron Stew Pot." Not make it in the Oven.

To me, that us uncalled for.

The title of this thread is “How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?”
No mention of Slow cooker in title.
No need to get snippy when someone answers the question. JMHO

No mention of Slow Cooker in the title???? I thought this was the Slow Cooker Forum. Did I not read something right?

If there is a Moderator on this website, please have the "courtesy" to remove me from these forums. I'm tired of arguing with everyone who can't give me a simple answer. If someone can't answer me, I see no reason why I should have to make something "their" way. I like to be active and in control of my cooking creations - My Way

If there is a Moderator on this website, please have the "courtesy" to remove me from these forums. I'm tired of arguing with everyone who can't give me a simple answer. If someone can't answer me, I see no reason why I should have to make something "their" way. I like to be active and in control of my cooking creations - My Way
The way to remove yourself from the forum is to delete your account and not come back to the website. The moderators don't do that for you.

Milford, you are on the right forum, for Slow Cookers, your question is clear and logical. I'm sure a moderator will look over this discussion and remove any off topic or insensitive, thoughtless comments. I believe the moderators want to keep this a friendly on topic forum for everyone. I encourage you to stay.

Back
Top Bottom