"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?

Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.

__________________

__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 284
Pressure cooker.
__________________

__________________
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.
Milford....if you want to slow cook your corned beef in a Crock Pot, don't put the potatoes, carrots and cabbage in at the same time. The veggies will be mush by the time the corned beef is done. Add the veggies within the last 2 hours or so of cooking time - with the exception of the cabbage, that should be added within the last few minutes.

There are lots of different ways to pull together a corned beef dinner and Crock Pot cooking isn't what I would do...I would roast the meal....but that's just my two cents worth.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 11,496
I couldn't agree more with that Cheryl.

Crockpot cooking isn't just dump everything in and expect it to make a wonderful dinner worth eating.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.
__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.
Slow cook it. We are here to HELP! I think people just offering you other suggestions and they don't mean any harm.
I'll help you eat it, or if you just want me to taste test it. I love a good corned beef. Where the heck did you get a 5 lb corned beef? That would be heaven.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
5.12 lbs. Would you believe Wal-mart for $8.75? Still good by the date. Grobbel's brand. Supposed to be good.

About Us – E.W. Grobbel Sons, Inc.
__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
5.12 lbs. Would you believe Wal-mart for $8.75? Still good by the date. Grobbel's brand. Supposed to be good.

About Us – E.W. Grobbel Sons, Inc.
Wow, that is a great deal! I was only finding it on sale at $1.98 or $1.89, with regular prices at more like $6/lb. Yours was only around $1.50ish/lb. Can't beat that!
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
Done! Since this was my first time with Corned Beef in a Crockpot, it almost turned out perfect. I gave the meat 6 hrs on High. Then added some Baby Reds,(Mountainking brand). Their website said they can stand up to cooking and stews. Nope. Just over an hour and the potatoes were turning to mush. I removed the potatoes, then added the cabbage and let that go for an hour. That turned out great. Just need to find a different potato or time it better.
Oh, and the Corned Beef...the seasoning packet was a joke. Looked like 1/2 tsp. of mustard seed, nothing else. Luckily I had a bottle of McCormick Pickling Spice and used a Tb. Oh, the aroma from the Crockpot. And after 8 hrs, the Corned Beef flat was about half the original size. Oh well. Told my wife I'm ready to try it again.
__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,610
I cook it in a cast iron dutch oven. Cook the meat in a 275°F oven for about 2˝ hours, then remove the meat from the oven and roast potatoes and carrots at 400° till done. While they are cooking, set the beef aside covered with foil and cook cabbage in the broth, then mix in the roasted veggies.

Slice meat and arrange on platter with meat in the middle and veggies around the outside, broth in a bowl to be spooned over as each diner likes it.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef, cabbage, cook, corn, corned beef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.