"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Cook

How do you cook your Corned Beef & Cabbage?

Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Pressure cooker.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
Again with the Crock Pot. My wife got a beautiful 5# chunk of Corned Beef. I have found half a dozen recipes on the internet. All different.

One says throw in the meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage all at once, and cook for 8 - 10 hrs.
Another says cook the meat for 6 hrs, then add potatoes, then cabbage during last hour.
Another says cook meat for 8 hrs then add potatoes and cabbage last 2 hrs.

Anyone offer any suggestions? I need to know the timing for everything. I haven't cooked this for over 10 years. And then, I was using my pressure cooker.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to make this Tomorrow.
Milford....if you want to slow cook your corned beef in a Crock Pot, don't put the potatoes, carrots and cabbage in at the same time. The veggies will be mush by the time the corned beef is done. Add the veggies within the last 2 hours or so of cooking time - with the exception of the cabbage, that should be added within the last few minutes.

There are lots of different ways to pull together a corned beef dinner and Crock Pot cooking isn't what I would do...I would roast the meal....but that's just my two cents worth.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't agree more with that Cheryl.

Crockpot cooking isn't just dump everything in and expect it to make a wonderful dinner worth eating.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Cook

I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.

anonymous
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
I never said I was dumping everything together. As it is, with the lack of response I got, I am cooking the corned beef first for 5 hrs. Then the potatoes for 2 hrs, then the cabbage for an hour.

Oh, I checked and this is called the "Slow Cooker" forums. It seems every time I have questions about slow cooking something, i'm told to "use a roaster", "use a pressure cooker", "bake it". If I wanted that, I wouldn't be asking for help here.
Slow cook it. We are here to HELP! I think people just offering you other suggestions and they don't mean any harm.
I'll help you eat it, or if you just want me to taste test it. I love a good corned beef. Where the heck did you get a 5 lb corned beef? That would be heaven.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Cook

5.12 lbs. Would you believe Wal-mart for $8.75? Still good by the date. Grobbel's brand. Supposed to be good.

About Us – E.W. Grobbel Sons, Inc.

anonymous
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
5.12 lbs. Would you believe Wal-mart for $8.75? Still good by the date. Grobbel's brand. Supposed to be good.

About Us – E.W. Grobbel Sons, Inc.
Wow, that is a great deal! I was only finding it on sale at $1.98 or $1.89, with regular prices at more like $6/lb. Yours was only around $1.50ish/lb. Can't beat that!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Cook

Done! Since this was my first time with Corned Beef in a Crockpot, it almost turned out perfect. I gave the meat 6 hrs on High. Then added some Baby Reds,(Mountainking brand). Their website said they can stand up to cooking and stews. Nope. Just over an hour and the potatoes were turning to mush. I removed the potatoes, then added the cabbage and let that go for an hour. That turned out great. Just need to find a different potato or time it better.
Oh, and the Corned Beef...the seasoning packet was a joke. Looked like 1/2 tsp. of mustard seed, nothing else. Luckily I had a bottle of McCormick Pickling Spice and used a Tb. Oh, the aroma from the Crockpot. And after 8 hrs, the Corned Beef flat was about half the original size. Oh well. Told my wife I'm ready to try it again.

anonymous
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I cook it in a cast iron dutch oven. Cook the meat in a 275°F oven for about 2˝ hours, then remove the meat from the oven and roast potatoes and carrots at 400° till done. While they are cooking, set the beef aside covered with foil and cook cabbage in the broth, then mix in the roasted veggies.

Slice meat and arrange on platter with meat in the middle and veggies around the outside, broth in a bowl to be spooned over as each diner likes it.

Tags
beef, cabbage, cook, corn, corned beef