"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello, I'm New and Need Help

Hi everyone, I'm Carolyn and just stumbled across this site. I live in upsate NY and my family is super fussy about what they eat!! Can't wait to get more familar with all of you and learn some new fun tips & recipes.

I was looking for a side dish for a picnic we're having tomorrow. The problem is, hubby, daughter & her boyfriend do not like potatoe salad or macraoni salad, nor do they like onions, tomatoes. I'm used to them "suffering" by picking out tomatoes & onions from dishes I make, but I'm also having boyfriend's parents over and I don't know if they like these things or not. I do make a great pasta salad and a awesome jello salad, but I wanted something new & different.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom116 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm Carolyn and just stumbled across this site. I live in upsate NY and my family is super fussy about what they eat!! Can't wait to get more familar with all of you and learn some new fun tips & recipes.

I was looking for a side dish for a picnic we're having tomorrow. The problem is, hubby, daughter & her boyfriend do not like potatoe salad or macraoni salad, nor do they like onions, tomatoes. I'm used to them "suffering" by picking out tomatoes & onions from dishes I make, but I'm also having boyfriend's parents over and I don't know if they like these things or not. I do make a great pasta salad and a awesome jello salad, but I wanted something new & different.
If it were me, I'd stick with tried and true...You know what your doing and you can zip right through it..I don't know what your pasta salad nor your jello salads consists of so cannot advise something to jazz them up.Good luck to you
kadesma

Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Head Chef

How about cole slaw, grilled veggies or fresh fruit with a nice french cream dip.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have a very juicy cole slaw recipe that might do the trick for you.
Ingredients:
1 heat green or red cabbage
1 onion, finely minced
1 carrot, coarsely grated
3 tbs. sugar
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (start with 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup ice water

Coarsely grate the cabbage and combine with the other ingredients. Stir well and taste. Add more Salad Dressing if needed, but a tbs. or so at a time. The slaw should be very wet and refreshing, not creamy. The flavors will blend together giving you a sweet, but not too sweet slaw that goes great with most any barbecued or picnic style food.

Another great side is to dice sweet potatoes and "oven Fry" them until slightly caramelized in a 425 degree oven. Drizzle with sunflower oil, salt, and pepper before roasting. Serve hot.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Sous Chef

There's also carrot salad and waldorf salad. Or even fruit salad.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Master Chef

I make a bean salad that comes out great for a picnic.

4 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 hard boiled eggs chopped
small jar dill relish or dill cubes
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Mix mayo and sugar together. Add vinegar and mix well. Add beans, eggs and relish to dressing and mix well. Can be served immediately or kept in refrigerator.

Another side I make uses the same salad dressing mix. Instead of beans I use broccoli florets (cut up very small), shredded cheddar cheese, slivered almonds, peas (thawed from frozen, not canned) and golden raisins. I don't have amounts on these since I just dump things in the bowl. Anyway, mix all these things with the salad dressing and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Both of these are good cold sides are easy to throw together but are different from the usual potato/macaroni salads.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
There's also carrot salad and waldorf salad. Or even fruit salad.
Good ideas, and I would still go ahead with a potato, and/or pasta salad for those that enjoy them.

I hope ya didn't hurt yourself as you "stumbled" in.. --- Pull up a chair, make yourself at home, and welcome to DC!!

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have found that cooking for picky eaters can be a bit of a pain, but if you approach it from a slightly different perspective it can become a little easier. Instead of focusing on what they don't like, see if they have any favorite dishes and then "deconstruct" them into their various ingredients and then build something new out of that. Rarely do I go wrong with this method.

Oh, and welcome to DC, btw!

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stick with the old "Tried & True" method - pasta salad, cherry fluff (from TOH magazine), and tomatoe,onion & cuke salad.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom116 View Post

check out allrecipes.com. if you can't find something there I don't
know what to tell ya!