Need recipes for such things as ranch, catalina or french salad dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allergictoeverything

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site. Don't laugh at my user name...since last August I have become allergic to practically everything that tastes good :mad: and am having to modify scores of recipes, and try to create new ones for things that I normally used to buy off-the-shelf. I'm not talking itching, I'm talking epi-pen-ER-in-the-hospital-anaphalaxis-food allergies. So far I know I am allergic to soy, onions, sesame, and suspect to cumin. :wacko: More tests forecoming in about a month. Any recipes for foods, salad dressings, spice mix etc that would normally use these ingredients but have been modified to not use these ingredients are welcome. I have found it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to avoid soy. It's in EVERYTHING. In particular I am looking for a ranch salad dressing and a catalina/french salad dressing and an Italian dressing that would leave out the onions. The vegetable (soybean) oil isn't so hard to substitute with canola. Those who pray can pray I don't become allergic to canola or garlic!!! :angel: I have found bleu cheese salad dressing made by a company called Litehouse in Sam's Club that uses canola.

Just omit whatever it is you're allergic to in the recipe. If you're asking for ingredients that you can substitute for flavor, you won't be able to in most cases. The only thing you can do is to take whatever recipe you find on this site or on the web, and make it sans whatever you're allergic to.

As Ironchef said, you can do a search on Google, or here at Discuss Cooking, for any of these recipes and just alter to fit your needs. What a hassle and I wish you the best of luck!

I've never made an Italian dressing with onions in it - just oil, vinegar, either dry mustard or Dijon mustard, and all the Italian herbs, some garlic - I think that's about all. You can also use some lemon juice for some or all of the vinegar.

Thanks!

Thanx guys....I've made plenty of marinades but am just being forcibly made a salad-dressing learner. Marinades are rough too, without soy sauce or worcestershire....which has soy sauce in it---bbq...we'll try w/o onions....I did come up with an EXCELLENT baked bean recipe with no onions after looking high and low for pork and beans for a cookout. Sauce uses tomato sauce, molasses, brown sugar, ham or bacon pieces, and you start with it rather soupy, assembled and cooked on the stove, then either canned or pre cooked white beans or navy beans...any kind of white beans will do...stir your sauce and beans together, then you plop the whole shebang into a crock pot and cook 8-10 hours on low. It is good to use a crock pot liner in your crock pot, because the molasses and brown sugar will make it a bit sticky! AND NO I DIDN'T STEAL THAT FROM DUKE BUSH!!! :-p (Y'know...the Bush beans commercial where Jay Bush's dog Duke keeps trying to market the secret recipe!!

For the creamier dressings. experiment with some plain non-fat yogurt, then add other spices, you can also add some low fat sour cream. Try some spices such as dried dill, tarragon and also celery seeds. You can also try some that are a little more exotic, such as carraway and corriander. Toast the seeds and then crush them or use a spice grinder. Dressings are simply a matter of taste. I personally don't understand the big to do about Ranch. There are many spices that you can experiment with. Pick a theme, chinese, thai, etc and use spices common to that culture. Just play with your food, it's fun!

Back
Top Bottom