A question about Bagna Cauda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shunka

Head Chef
Bagna Cauda

I have several recipes for Bagna Cauda; many use olive oil and some use butter and cream. My question is which of these do those of you, who know this dip, prefer? I am making some for Christmas for my hubby and I to enjoy. A second Mom to me has advised me against using broccoli and green bell peppers to dip into this. She also said to peel the cucumber slices as the green veggies can sometimes leave a bitter taste. I would welcome any suggestions and other recipes too!! THNX!!!

Last edited:
Hi Shunka...
I've never even heard of Bagna Cauda.
Could you post the recipe that you end up using?
I'm always looking for new dips. Thanks!

pdswife, I have heard of bagna cauda, but was not sure what it is either. So, I looked it up and here is what I found.

BAGNA CAUDA - Anchovy and Garlic Dip

Literally translated from Piedmontese dialect, it means "warm sauce". The ingredients suggest it is a country recipe, because all the ingredients are garden grown. Even the oil was probably produced on the farm. The exception is anchovies, which were widely used as a substitute for salt.

4 cloves garlic, crushed
l 1/2 oz. butter, melted
4 oz. salted anchovies
pepper
1 cup olive oil

Sauté the crushed garlic and chopped anchovy fillets in the oil. Stir constantly until the anchovies disintegrate. Add butter and mix. Add pepper to taste. This sauce is served in a pot, for everyone to dip the vegetables in, or in individual terracotta bowls. The garlic's flavor becomes somewhat milder if you leave the cloves to soak in milk for a few hours or add a small amount of cream at the last minute. Bagna cauda must be placed on warmers, as it must simmer constantly. It is usually served with cardoons, fennel, peppers, celery and carrots, much like Pinzimonio.

Last edited:
Hi guys:) I've had Bagna Caoda before, It's just a hot oil,butter,anchovies and garlic dip for veggies..You can use Cardoon but they must be peeled or stringed like celery and I give them a quick par boil first..Any veggie will do, I've used red pepper, radishes. thin asparagus, fennel, celery hearts, mushrooms, small pieces of cauliflour..I mix up the dip and then keep hot in a fondue pot. I love it but it is messy:LOL: The recipe I have is for 4 but it's easy to make it for more..

kadesma:)

Here are a couple of the different recipes I have for Bagna Cauda.

From a dear friend in Washington
approx. 1 lb. butter
4 heads of garlic (not cloves, entire heads)
16 oz sour cream
pt. half-n-half
1 can of sardines(w/capers in oil) or anchovies
sliced French or Italian bread
raw or steamed veggies (cauliflower, mushrooms (raw or pickled), red or yellow bell peppers, carrots, celery, green onions, etc.) Shrimp is great with this!!
Chop, but don’t mash garlic. You may want to start with 2 heads and then add more later to taste. On lowest setting, start with ½ lb of butter melting. Stir in the first chopped head of garlic, make sure that the butter does not burn!!!. This stirring-melting-mixing process takes approx. one hour.When well mixed add 1 c of sour cream and 1 c of half-n-half at the same time. When completely mixed in, add the second portion of sour cream and half-n-half. These two ingredients should always be mixed in together. Dice a few of the sardines and stir into mixture and the capers that are packed with them. Add more garlic to taste. You should taste a creamy roasted garlic flavor when this is all done. The consistency should be like a thick chowder.
To serve, keep heated in a fondue pot, chafing dish or a crockpot set on lowest setting. Hold a slice of bread as a plate and dip your veggie into the Bagna Cauda, using the bread to catch the drippings. When the bread gets soggy, eat it and get another slice!!

BAGNA CAUDA
In an electric skillet, melt 1 stick real butter. Add 1 (4 ounce) can finely chopped anchovy fillets. Add 1 clove finely chopped garlic. Stir together and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add, while stirring constantly, 2 cups of heavy cream. Simmer until done.
This mixture needs to be kept warm for serving. Serve with French bread, cabbage leaves, celery, and carrots for dipping.
Serves 6.​

BAGNA CAUDA (ITALIAN FONDUE)​
6 to 8 cloves garlic
2 cubes butter
2 sm. jars olive oil
2 tins anchovies
Vegetables
Seafood
Steak
French bread sticks for dipping
Mix or press garlic into shallow fondue or electric frypan. Add butter and oil. Cook on low until garlic is soft, but not brown. Add anchovies; simmer until anchovies almost disappear. Meanwhile, slice bread thickly and set aside. Skewer veggies (mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.), scallops, shrimp, and steak (cubed) or anything you want to dip. Simmer 1 to 3 minutes. Use bread as bed to soak up juices as eaten.​

A lot of Europeans immigrated here in the 30's and 40's to work in the coal mines, among them a lot of Italians. Most of them lived in an area on the southeast edge of town called Boneyard Woods, where they built a private club on a full city block, called the "Boneyard Boccie Club".
I've had lots of wonderful food there (not to mention some fine "Dego Red"), and the bagna was outstanding.
The butter/olive oil/anchovy/garlic version is the one they served, although I always heard it could also be made with cream. For dippers, they served lots of good crusty bread, which we just tore off in chunks, and blanched cabbage, cauliflower and other vegies. I have fixed it several times for parties...it very easy, and so good. Just make sure your SO eats some too, because you will smell like garlic for days.

Constance, I am so eager to make this again that I almost don't want to wait until Christmas!!! I usually make the creamy version, although both are very good. I might just make this for Saturday and leave the prime-rib for Sunday.

Well, I could wait no longer than tonight to make this!! I used the first recipe that I posted above. Using half the amount of sour cream and half-n-half, 1/2 c. of butter, 2 cans (2 oz. each) of anchovies and about 1 1/2 heads of garlic; this is still my favorite of all the Bagna Cauda recipes!!!! Hubby is already planning on dipping leftover prime rid in this sauce! Just thought I would let those of you that might want to try this.

Last edited:
I'll have to try the creamy one, Shunka. I've just always made the other one becaused I liked it so much, I didn't see any point doing it differently.
Sounds like a good thing for New Year's Eve.

According to the friend that gave me the first recipe above, her family has this on New Year's as a tradition. I have to say that I can sure see why now!! The full recipe does make a lot, so invite lots of friends and family. As my friend said,"To make this authentic, have many family members and at least 15 kids running around!" She also said that a splash of dry wine "accidently" added to the bagna is great.

Ahhh, I have seen this thread several times... "bagna cauda" seems to be a somewhat addictive and contagious pairing of words-everytime I see it, the words are repeating in my head for hours!!!! Glad I finally checked it out! It sounds yummy! And I have been wanting to try anchovies, so this may be a wonderful avenue! Can anyone help me with the pronunciation?

Shannon, think of bon-ya caw-da. That is the closest I can think of writing down the pronunciation. The anchovie taste in this is not strong, that is why I added a second can of them. Still it is the garlic taste that comes out. Hubby made a sandwich using leftover sauce and shrimp on French bread slices.

Holey moley!!! I had a strange craving to try this!!! yum yum! Any my house stinks!!!! :ROFLMAO: (I probably do too hahahaha)

That's why you want your friends and family to join you when you eat it, Shannon. If you all smell like garlic, no one will notice.

Constance said:
That's why you want your friends and family to join you when you eat it, Shannon. If you all smell like garlic, no one will notice.

And of all the times, the neighbor guy comes over to lend a movie to my daughter...... Thank goodness he is not cute and available- would be just my luck! hahahahaaha!

shannon in KS said:
Holey moley!!! I had a strange craving to try this!!! yum yum! Any my house stinks!!!! :ROFLMAO: (I probably do too hahahaha)
I see you liked it huh Shannon?:LOL: My grampa use to make it every New Years Eve...Lot's of people look at ya like you're nuts when you tell about it, so it was nice to see others who like it to and know what it is... I'm thinking sunday, making some might be a nice change of pace for us...
kadesma:)

Constance said:
Simple solution...just offer him some!

:ROFLMAO: Did I mention he is NOT hot? Now, if he was, I mighta said something like, "I just made a fabulous aromatic italian dish.... you look Italian, I am sure you would love it.... glass of wine?" Somebody smack me out of this fairy tale... :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom