Deep Fried Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Houdini

Assistant Cook
Howdy. I was wondering if anyone knows the secret batter that Outback Steakhouse uses on their deep fried mushrooms? Those mushrooms are so good that when we go there to eat I fill up on those mushrooms. I have tried numerous times to duplicate them here at home but have been unsuccesful so far.

Thanks Uncle Bob. Are you also trying to figure out the recipe for those yummy mushrooms? I have tried coating them with and without egg, buttermilk, regular milk, then tossing them in regular flour with italian seasoning, tossing them in seasoned bread crumbs, tossing them with a flour & bread crumb mixture. I can't seem to be able to get the batter right. I have even gone so far as to use a thick tempura type batter. I have tried differant seasonings. Thank goodness the majority of the experimental mushrooms have been edible! Ha Ha

Houdini said:
Thanks Uncle Bob. Are you also trying to figure out the recipe for those yummy mushrooms? I have tried coating them with and without egg, buttermilk, regular milk, then tossing them in regular flour with italian seasoning, tossing them in seasoned bread crumbs, tossing them with a flour & bread crumb mixture. I can't seem to be able to get the batter right. I have even gone so far as to use a thick tempura type batter. I have tried differant seasonings. Thank goodness the majority of the experimental mushrooms have been edible! Ha Ha

I have never tried them...Haven't been to Outback in quite a spell...
Was just trying to see if I could come up with something for you....
Would have to go eat some of them to even guess at trying to duplicate them...You might try the meal/flour combo that Andy mentioned...But that should be a "slam dunk" at detecting when eating the Outback version.
Anyway...hang in there...Maybe an old disgruntled Outback employee will come along and share the "secret" :LOL:

Uncel Bob you had me laughing so hard I was crying with your statement of the old disgruntled employee.:LOL:
I'll give the cornmeal/ flour mix a try. Thanks Andy M. and Uncle Bob.

I don't know what they are either but a good crisp coating that seems to work for quite a few things is equal parts beer and flour, let it set out on counter for 3 hours. You can use a tad more beer if you want as that coating can get REALLY crunchy! :blush:

Last edited:
My husband makes great fried mushrooms. He slices them in fairly thick slices, dips in egg, then seasoned flour, and into the hot oil. He's done them both deep-fried and pan-fried, and I actually prefer the latter.

I'm glad you brought that up...I'm ready for some fried mushrooms.

Kitchenchef....

The beer batter is exactly what I fry my dill pickles in...with cayenne pepper added before and after...yeah buddy!!!!!! Got to have some soon!

Uncle Bob said:
Kitchenchef....

The beer batter is exactly what I fry my dill pickles in...with cayenne pepper added before and after...yeah buddy!!!!!! Got to have some soon!

YUM! .......................

Hey Uncle Bob here I am. ( waving)
What's your news? Did you find an old disgruntled ex- employee willing to spill the secret? Did you crack the code?
Waiting on pins and needles. :)

Fried mushrooms, Outback style

Hello!

I believe I have what you are looking for. I used to manage an Outback in the late nineties though I am not disgruntled! I do still remember how things worked in the kitchen. I left the company before the fried mushrooms were added but I am certain they are made the same way they make their blooming onions. It's a simple procedure. They are double-breaded using a seasoned flour and an egg-wash. I believe they even use the same flour on the mushrooms as the do for the onions.

The restaurants buy the seasoned flour from the company, so no one will ever know the exact recipe, but I have a very close version.

EGG WASH
1 egg
1/2 cup whole milk

SEASONED FLOUR
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp table salt
3/4 tsp black pepper (preferably fresh ground)
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional but recommended)
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme

8 oz fresh white button mushrooms

Give your mushrooms a good rinse in a colander then dip in the egg wash then dredge through the flour mixture. Dip them in the egg wash again and dredge them in the flour a second time. Deep fry them in 350 degree oil until golden brown and enjoy!

I don't know what they are either but a good crisp coating that seems to work for quite a few things is equal parts beer and flour, let it set out on counter for 3 hours. You can use a tad more beer if you want as that coating can get REALLY crunchy! :blush:

I use this on all kinds of fried food. The trick is the 3 hour wait. It rises and becomes so light and fluffy. Very much YUM! :chef:

Beer and flour does make a batter. We've made tempura vegetables with it. The gases in the beer make it nice and light.

When I do make a batter, it is always a beer batter. Beer, flour, corn starch and salt. Some beer batter recipes call for flat beer where some don't. I usually just use it straight from the can. I'm usually drinking one anyway.

My opinion was that a batter would adhere better than a dry coating. Give a better more consistent coating.
I have never made deep fried shrooms and thats why my post ended with a question mark.

Thinking a bit harder it seems a dip in batter, then a dip into Panko would make a quite crispy coating. I have done that with shrimp before. Big gulf shrimp.

Last edited:
I have a question and I know this thread is really old and just resurrected. Whenever I deep fry mushrooms at home, like button or crimini, they always have a gush of liquid (watery, not oily) when you bite down into them. Ones that I get at a restaurant don't seem to have that. I wash them VERY quickly under running water and drain/dry them on paper towels before proceeding with battering or coating them. Does anybody else have that problem or is just the mushrooms I'm getting or what? Do the restaurants maybe salt them to pull out some of the excess liquid? I wash them for frying just like I do for any other kind of prep and never seem to have excess liquid except when I fry them.

Back
Top Bottom