Fish spread for crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Please excuse my coarse words for what I'm about to undertake. I want to make a fish spread along with cheese and crackers for an appetizer for Christmas.

I know that there are several fancy terms for fancy spread. The only one that is coming to mind is rillettes. I'm not sure that one even applies to fish.

Regardless, I need your help in making something along the lines of a walleye fish spread that would go well with cheese and crackers.

How odd.
When I read the thread title about a fish spread the first fish that came to mind was walleye.
I highly recommend using some type of smoked fish. Even smokes salmon would be good.
Smoked walleye and smoked whitefish are sold around Lake Superior.
For the 'spread' part I recommend using an aioli instead of mayo.

I'm open to any suggestions and recipes. :)

When I am down in South Florida, they serve a fish dip at many restaurants that is made from any number of oily fishes. Its always smoked. Its also available in Sam's down there.
Tuna, salmon, sailfish and marlin come to mind. The ingredient list says it can contain one or all the species listed.
I cannot find it here in SC. :(

Its served on crackers (you make these yourself at the table).
Topped with one slice of jalapeño and a few drops of your favorite hot sauce.
Maybe Craig can chime in on the brand name.
I had it in my memory bank. But the bank is not what it used to be.

Oh....I think the brand name is 'Atlantis'. Its terrific!

Smoked mullet dip/spread is very popular on the Florida west coast,especially around the Tampa/St. Pete area.

I know this isn't what you asked-- we like small jars of Pickled herring, slice in halves if they herring pieces are too large, add a slice or two of onion rings when you put in a serving bowl, add a few red pepper flakes and some whole all-spice. Marinate for a few hours before serving. Must be served on a Ritz cracker.

You can serve fish spreads on cucumber slices, celery or stuffed in hollowed out cherry tomatoes.

We/ I make either hot smoked salmon, whitefish or lake trout pretty near every Christmas or NY's. Can't say I have seen smoked walleye. If I have, it was probably too expensive and I kept on walking.

Here's my recipe. Feel free to tweak.

Smoked Salmon/ Smoked Fish Spread

8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. lemon juice ( plus some zest)
1 Tbs. fresh dill, finely chopped, I think I have used other herbs, tarragon, or just parsley
3 tsp. prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 cup smoked salmon, finely chopped (or smoked trout)
green onion, tops or 2 tablespoons minced onion
A few shakes Tabasco, enough to brighten the mx, not to add heat

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until ingredients are well-incorporated and mostly smooth. Chill until serving.

If you like the dip try the Martha’s Vineyard mysteries, great little page turners!

Thanks for the link to my USA-products online resource, Aunt Bea!

The Martha's Vineyard Mystery series indeed are great reading!

Also recommended are the series on CD, read by Tom Stechschulte.

Jim - Forever a student of Time & Temperature

Costco sells white fish spread, it's awesome. But for some easy it all stores Cary that stuff. They also sell smoked salmon spread, also good. Personally I like chopped herring.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Okay.
My friend gave me a smoked whole small fish yesterday and I was hoping for some feedback on it.
It came from Minnesota, so I assume its from the Great Lakes and is in a vacuum bag. It was frozen when he handed it to me. Its in the fridge and thawed out.
It says "Smoked Goldies" on the bag. Its hand written on the bag I mean.
Anyone familiar with this smoked fish. My friend does not know the difference between a sauce pan and a frying pan so he could tell me nothing.

TIA

Okay.
My friend gave me a smoked whole small fish yesterday and I was hoping for some feedback on it.
It came from Minnesota, so I assume its from the Great Lakes and is in a vacuum bag. It was frozen when he handed it to me. Its in the fridge and thawed out.
It says "Smoked Goldies" on the bag. Its hand written on the bag I mean.
Anyone familiar with this smoked fish. My friend does not know the difference between a sauce pan and a frying pan so he could tell me nothing.

TIA

Minnesota is known as "The Land of 10,000 Lakes." There are five Great Lakes, most of which don't border Minnesota, so it's unlikely your fish came from one of them ;)

Here's information on what I believe is your fish: "Morey’s Smoked Whiting (goldies) are hot-smoked, combining the large flaky meat and semi-moist texture with the smoky flavor from 100% hickory smoke."

Smoked Fish - Morey's

Last edited:
Maybe, possibly, but why would anyone open an airtight package and put it in a plain bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom