"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Getting bored/canapes' idea please?

It is my sisters 30 in the weekend and i'm doing the catering ...
I am wanting some new and interesting ideas for canapes'

Old 04-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Sous Chef

what the heck is a canape thing anyhow? Is it like the stuff you put on crackers?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Sous Chef

A canape is generally a small slice of bread topped with various things, either cold or hot.
Just perusing through Larousse Gastronomique it has a number of canape ideas:
- Bread spread with parsley butter and topped with ham
- Bread spread with shallot butter topped with cooked mushrooms and ham
- Lightly toasted bread topped with anchovy fillets and chopped/mixed egg white and yolk and parsley
- Bread spread with thick mayonnaise, topped with small asparagus tips and capsicum
- Bread spread with watercress butter, topped with some watercress and chopped/mixed egg white and yolk.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks

Thanks Haggis I have the said same book.....
Was loooking for something more contempoary, not that the classics are a bad fall back.
Thanks to for the explination on what they are.
Peace
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Beef & Onion Croustades:
Toast the croustades. Top with a thin slice of beef tenderoin (roasted and cold), then a little red onion marinated in soy and walnut oil.

Crab & Mango Croustades:
Toast the croustades. Open a can of jumbo lump crabmeat, and carefully (so as to keep the lumps as intact as possible) fold in a little wasabi, to taste. Place a lump on the croustade, and add a small piece of chopped mango.

Smoked Whitefish in Phyllo Cups:
Bake some phyllo cups for a minute or two. Crumble some smoked whitefish, and mix in wasabi to taste. Place enough of the fish mixture into the phyllo cups to fill, and garnish with a little seasoned salt or paprika.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiedo
Was loooking for something more contempoary, not that the classics are a bad fall back.
Larouse? Contemporary? Contemporary is just a variation of the classics

Perhaps, maybe some of the pictures and drawings are dated but you can easily take any of those recipes and make them contemporary.

I still get a lot of dishes from "La Repertoire de la Cuisine". I just take the ingredients and comtemporize them. La Repertoire is older than Larouse. La Repertoire is considered a staple. I worked with a French chef and we had these kids in the kitchen from France. He would stop them and ask what ingredients from a certain dish in La Rep and they need to know it. They carried the book in their back pocket. If you don't know and don't study the classics, its harder to make something contemporary.

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I made something a while ago for a group of friends. It was a kind of pancake sandwich.

The pancakes were more crepes actually. There were different layers of things. A tomato/roasted pepper puree, cheese, pesto and something else I can't think of. If I make it again I will leave out the pesto.

I made it ahead and then was able to slice wedges. It was very pretty with the colors. If you leave out the pesto you would have to think of something else green. Perhaps a parsley pesto? I found what I had not very nice but it was from a jar. perhaps selfmade would be much better. The roasted tomato puree was heaven. And pretty.

Mini pitas with different fillings. Flour tortillas filled and rolled then sliced. Nachos. You could make them pretty by putting a dollop of something on each chip.

I make Bruchetta lots lately for company, but it can be filling. Perhaps mini bruchetta. We like garlic mushroom but I do make a grilled pepper/tomato/basilico vinegar one.

I have also made mini quiches. We can buy little canape cups that are actually for serving a bite of shrimp salad or somethin else. I made mini quiches. I did a mixture of finely chopped onion and garlic. From there it varied. A bit of oinion mixture in each cup, in some a small shrimp and in others a bit of pepper or mushroom. then spoon in a bit of egg mixture and top with cheese. These can be made ahead and warmed up at the last minute.

I am anxious to hear what others come up with.

Pam
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Eric you are absolutely correct and it is very arogant of me to dismiss the past so easily. The recipes in those books are as valid today as they ever were, infact probally more so now especially in New Zealand with the advent of fusion style cookery.
Thaanks for the reminder
Old 04-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #9
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiedo
more so now especially in New Zealand with the advent of fusion style cookery.
Thaanks for the reminder
Could you tell us more what restaurants are doing in NZ? Mixing asian flavors? Any middle eastern flavors? What's NZ comfort foods? What are the origins of some of the dishes? Mix of native (oh boy, that's not PC is it?) and British?

Its funny that we think fusion is fairly new but I was just looking at La Repertoire and reading some of the ingredient listings and some of them are middle eastern and asian ingredients. That's quite advanced at that time. You would think the French only want to have French or European ingredients :)

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I use to make this a long time ago. It went over real well.

Poor Man's Caviar
Small piece of toasted bread or a cracker
Put egg salad on top
Top all with 1/2 anchovy filet.

Tags
None