"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Just as a little aside, spanakopita is Greek for Spinach Pie (loosely translated that is).

I am making a variation that is rolled in phyllo and cut like mini sausage rolls for one of my wedding receptions. They are always a big hit, specially for summer events, though they go over well at Christmas as well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I just love spinach so i would definetly love those pies......Yummy!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Just as a little aside, spanakopita is Greek for Spinach Pie (loosely translated that is).

I am making a variation that is rolled in phyllo and cut like mini sausage rolls for one of my wedding receptions. They are always a big hit, specially for summer events, though they go over well at Christmas as well.
hello. thats why i call mine spinach pies and not spanakopita because mine are not the traditional filling. and they sure are a big hit. i make them all year.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
hello. thats why i call mine spinach pies and not spanakopita because mine are not the traditional filling. and they sure are a big hit. i make them all year.
And they sound delicious! I wasn't meaning anything by my comment. I was just mentioning that the two terms have become interchangeable. I am going to try your recipe for sure!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
And they sound delicious! I wasn't meaning anything by my comment. I was just mentioning that the two terms have become interchangeable. I am going to try your recipe for sure!
hey there. i didn't read anything negitive into your comment. and it was good that you posted it because not everyone knows that. do you put grated cheese and lemon in your filling? i put the lemon inside because i like the crispy, flakey phyllo and lemon on top makes them soggy.

oh btw sometimes i add a bit of lemon and hot sauce to the brushing butter. that gives them an added layer of flavor.

let me know if you like them and i'd like to try your recipe also if you post it. i love spinach!!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
thank you. do you make them large for meals, small for an appy or both?

i eat these as a meal by themselves sometimes.
I often make them in a pie plate and cut in triangles. I enjoy them more in a rectangle casserole style dish though for some reason .

I usually have them as an appy but I have found myself eating them for lunch :P
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Master Chef

There are many, many variations for Spanakopita - it's all up to personal taste.

FIFTY (yes - 50) years ago my grandmother was making it for us as her most popular "appetizer". Just spinach, feta cheese, some sauteed onions, & fresh chopped dill for the phyllo-dough filling. She made them as you would long streusels, & that's the way I also prefer to make them. No little triangles for me thank you - lol!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
There are many, many variations for Spanakopita - it's all up to personal taste.

FIFTY (yes - 50) years ago my grandmother was making it for us as her most popular "appetizer". Just spinach, feta cheese, some sauteed onions, & fresh chopped dill for the phyllo-dough filling. She made them as you would long streusels, & that's the way I also prefer to make them. No little triangles for me thank you - lol!
the first time i made these using dough because i was new to cooking for myself and phyllo intimidated me. the second time i made these i used phyllo. 3 sheets each buttered and stacked. filled and rolled pillow or bundle style. the suckers must have weighed a pound each LOL one pie hung off the sides of a 9" plate!! but they were gooooooooooooood!! then i saw the store bought ones and knew why i only got 6 out of one box of phyllo!! LOL you learned from your mistakes and this was a yummy one!!

btw my bf at looked like his eyes were gonna pop outta his head when he saw this giant spinach pies. i couldda put a pillow case on the thing.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
Master Chef

Picture update!!

Butter, onions, feta cheese, romano and parmasan cheeses, lemon juice and hot sauce in pan.

Squeeze out spinach added to pan.

Cut phyllo leaves in 1/2 across the width.
Sandwich between a sheet of waxed paper than a damp kitchen table.

Assembled and ready for the broiler.

Nicely browned under the broiler.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Thank you Msmofet, I'm going to have a weekend party with my family. but I've no idae what to cook.. I like you idea!!

Tags
None