Stuffed mushrooms... iso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
Your recipe sounds great, Andy. I like the idea of brushing the mushroom caps with butter.
I don't care for nuts in my stuffing though...wonder what I could use instead?

You could just leave them out. The provide a little texture to the stuffing.

Somehow I always find stuffed mushrooms - especially large ones - come out with the mushrooms still rather raw tasting. Either that or the mushrooms are cooked, but the filling is overcooked.

I've solved this by always blanching my mushrooms first in boiling water for a few minutes. I end up with firm yet cooked thru mushrooms for stuffing, & the remaining blanching liquid is terrific for vegetarian stock & soups.

I've had the same problem, Breezy.
When I was looking over stuffed mushroom recipes a while back, I ran across a recipe that called for blanching, and another that called for pouring boiling water over and letting them stand.
I think I'll give the blanching method a try next time. Did you salt the water?

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
Somehow I always find stuffed mushrooms - especially large ones - come out with the mushrooms still rather raw tasting. Either that or the mushrooms are cooked, but the filling is overcooked.

I've solved this by always blanching my mushrooms first in boiling water for a few minutes. I end up with firm yet cooked thru mushrooms for stuffing, & the remaining blanching liquid is terrific for vegetarian stock & soups.

You might want to try Andy M's trick on brushing with butter before baking. These mushrooms did not taste raw at all!

Michele - I've tried tried the butter-brushing & found it just browned the outside of the mushroom, but didn't cook it. But then I use HUGE mushrooms for stuffing.

Constance - I don't bother salting the water when blanching the mushrooms. I just bring a pot of water large enough to hold the mushrooms with water to cover to a boil, then toss the mushrooms in & cook them for just a couple of minutes. I then remove the mushrooms & drain them, gill side down, on some paper towels.

I definitely save the liquid & cook it down some. Then refrigerate or freeze it for soup. It makes a terrific addition to any vegetable soup recipe.

Oh, & another way I like to serve stuffed mushrooms is to buy a can of escargot, available in every supermarket these days, & pop one or two into each blanched mushroom cap, cover with a good-sized glob of garlic/parsley butter & a light sprinkling of dry Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs & pop under the broiler until the butter has melted & all is heated thru. Serve with lots of good bread to sop up all that artery-hardening garlic butter - lol!!!

This can almost be served as a light lunch/supper if accompanied with a green salad.

Here's two more to add to the list: the first ones I've made several times and people say they're the best they've ever had. The other ones I haven't made myself, but everyone I know who has made them, loves them!

CARRABBA'S ITALIAN GRILL STUFFED MUSHROOMS PARMIGIANA

12-15 large mushrooms
2 T. butter
1 medium onion, chopped finely
2 oz. diced pepperoni
1/4 C. finely chopped green pepper
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 C. finely crushed Ritz crackers, about 12 crackers
3 T. grated Parmesan
1 T. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/3 C. chicken broth
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Finely chop stems and reserve. In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onion, pepperoni, green pepper, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems until tender but not brown. Add crackers, parmesan, parsley, salt, oregano, a dash of pepper, and mix well. Still in broth. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps, heaping tops. In a shallow baking pan with 1/4-inch water covering bottom of pan, place stuffed mushrooms. Bake uncovered about 25 minutes until heated thoroughly.

Grilled Artichoke Mushrooms

3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs finely chopped green onions
1 6-1/2 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
1 6 oz package large button mushrooms, stems removed
Olive Oil nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup Italian-style or Parmesan bread crumbs
1 Tbs Olive Oil

Heat grill. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, onions and artichokes; mix well. Spray rounded side of mushroom caps with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon cheese mixture into each mushroom cap. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and oil; mix well. Sprinkle on top of each stuffed mushroom. When ready to grill, place mushrooms in a 10-inch grill basket or on a disposable foil tray. Plase basket on gas grill over medium heat or on a charcoal grill 4-6 inches from medium coals. Cook 8-19 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and filling is thoroughly heated.

Yield 8 servings

Note: These can be assembled up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready to grill.

My notes: I used Bella Cucina Artichoke Lemon Pesto in place of the chopped artichokes and mayo. Also, I used soft white bread crumbs and added them right in with the cheese mixture to eliminate a step. I baked them in an oiled, disposable pan on the grill. They were WOW! Everyone loved them!

Back
Top Bottom