Superbowl eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Yeah, yeah, it's that time again - what are y'all having? A friend of ours just turned us on to this one, veeery easy - don't even know what's it called, lol!

1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 lb breakfast sausage (he used a 'Jimmy Dean' spicy)
1 chopped onion
1 pkg cream cheese

Crumble sausage and saute til done, breaking up all the big chunks; remove from pan and saute onion til just beginning to brown. Add the can of Ro-tel tomatoes, and the cream cheese, and stir over low heat til the cheese melts. Serve with those 'scooper' tortilla chips.

Watch out - this is addictive!

Aside from "ground rule fumble"...well, no, there are other things I don't "get" on US football!

And I'm not sure what "Ro-Tel" tomato is!

Substitute the tomato with a cup of medium salsa...

Given the "Jimmy Dean" sausage is something "like" medium to hot Italian sausage, I must agree, or sub the whole meat thing out with medium ground beef, fried and drained...

Superbowl is February 6 - who's playing is still up for grabs!

Lifter, Rotel tomatoes are a canned tomato/chili pepper product.

I would not sub out Italian sausage in this, as it's got different spices than 'country' sausage. Also would not sub out ground beef as there are no spices.

It's a good recipe just as it stands.

Bucky, I know I've seen it in 'Joisey' - look in the section where the tomato sauces are, usually up on the top shelf 'cause it's not a 'name brand' item! If you can't find it there, try some Latino groceries.

If we go to my BIL & SIL's house again this year I'll be taking fried dill picckles, sausage wheeles, & chili cream cheese dip.

Sausage Wheeles

refrigerated canned cressent dough
your favorite breakfast sausage(I like Jimmy Dean spicy)

Do not seperate dough into triangles but leave it in rectangles & press the seams together. Spread sausage on dough & starting at long end roll up like a jelly roll. Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices & place on baking sheet. Bake at 350F until golden brown. Serve warm with spicy mustard or honey mustard.

Chili Cream Cheese Dip

8oz block cream cheese, softened
1 can chili no beans(or you can use the chili with beans, either is good)
2C shredded cheddar cheese(also good with monterey jack or colby jack)

Spread cream cheese in bottom of 9x9 casserole dish. Spread chili on top, sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 350F until cheese is melted & bubbly(about 15-20 minutes). Serve with corn chips, tortilla chips, salsa, & sour cream.
I sometimes put a layer of canned mild chilie peppers on top of the chili.

For the Super Bowl, I have to double this recipe.

Mom used to make this ... but she used Velveeta, too. But, she made a little bigger batch:

2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 lb country breakfast sausage
1 lb ground beef
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 LARGE yellow onion, minced
1 big block of Velveeta

Mom cooked the sausage, hamburger, onion and garlic together. Draianed the grease, added the Ro-Tel's and chunks of Velveeta.

I am going to make jkath's Jack Daniels Kielbasa and

Hot and Spicy Artichoke Dip

1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup g rated Parmesan cheese
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
2 tablespoons chopped tomato

Mix all ingredients except onions and tomato. Spoon into 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with onions and tomato.

7 LAYER TACO DIP

in a 9"x13x2" pan (or whatever you have handy):

Layer 1: 2 lbs browned ground beef with taco seasoning
Layer 2: 2 cups sour cream
Layer 3: 1 jar hot salsa (Habanero if you like!)
Layer 4: chopped lettuce
Layer 5: chopped green onions
Layer 6: chopped tomatoes
Layer 7: shredded cheddar or taco cheese

Serve with Deli taco chips. Chill the ground beef before you add the sour cream. Makes it easy to spread the sour cream and it won't be runny.

I think I will make some of those cocktail wieners too.

Before I make and plans for what to eat, I have to know who will be playing. Most of the teams I like, have been beaten out, Vikings, Dolphins, Lions, Chiefs, Chargers, bummer. There are a lot of good appetizers posted, I always like fingerfoods that can be put out and everyone helps themselves, then the hostess, me, can watch too.

Rob Babcock said:
How about Philly cheesesteaks and New England clam chowder? ;) I predict a lot of that will be served during the Super Bowl.

Do you have a good recipe for the cheesesteak sandwiches that does NOT use cheese whiz or velveeta?

if you're gonna make philly cheese steaks, try a fav of mine called a balboa (after rocky, i presume).
slice an italian loaf in half, schmear with garlic butter (a few minced cloves blended with a stick of butter), toast bread, top with thick slices of roast beef, american (or your fav) cheese, put under broiler to melt, top with raw onions and ketchup.
do not attempt to kiss anyone, heck, or even attempt close proximity conversations for a few days...

buckytom said:
if you're gonna make philly cheese steaks, try a fav of mine called a balboa (after rocky, i presume).
slice an italian loaf in half, schmear with garlic butter (a few minced cloves blended with a stick of butter), toast bread, top with thick slices of roast beef, american (or your fav) cheese, put under broiler to melt, top with raw onions and ketchup.
do not attempt to kiss anyone, heck, or even attempt close proximity conversations for a few days...

That sounds absolutely great, buckytom. I will have to try that. My daughter and her fiance may have a superbowl party and I will suggest that, my kid can use fake meat or tofu in hers.

Rob Babcock said:
How about Philly cheesesteaks and New England clam chowder? ;) I predict a lot of that will be served during the Super Bowl.

You know, Rob, I think you're right! I was kinda hoping the Colts would win over New England, but after the first quarter, :shock: they had a snowball's chance.

Okay here's what I'm making:
JD kielbasa
I think I'm trying Sierra's hot & spicy artichoke dip
& maybe Taco Rolls

Taco Rolls

1 tub cream cheese
1 can refried beans
1 lb. extra lean ground beef (have the butcher double grind it for you)
4-5 plum tomatoes, seeded & FINELY diced
Lawry's Taco seasoning
1-2 cans diced black olives
1-1/2 c. freshly made guacamole
1-1/2 c. FINELY cut lettuce
2 c. FINELY shredded pepper jack cheese (or Monterey Jack)
Burrito Size flour tortillas

Prepare taco seasoing in meat according to directions. Drain fat & cool.
Lay out first tortilla (shiny side up...yes, there is a difference)
Spread cream cheese with spatula over entire surface.Do same with beans. Add all other ingredients from bottom up to 3/4 of the way to the top.
Starting from the bottom, roll the tortilla tightly, making sure not to push the ingredients out the top. (Also make sure that the last 1-1/2" of roll is ONLY cream cheese & beans.)
Srap full roll tightly in plastic wrap. Continue making rolls until you ingredients run out.
Wrap each roll tightly in plastic wrap & chill overnight.
Take rolls out as needed (not all at once, as they are easiest cut when they are really cold) and cut each one into 7-8 pretty slices (darn it, you'll have to eat those ugly ends!)
Pierce each one with a toothick. Arrange on plate.

**Important: all layers must be very very thin to keep rolls tight.

***Options: use fat-free beans & fat-free cream cheese
: omit tomatoes, use drained salsa
: add onions

Servings: 80-90 rolls

If I was not already making a couple of other things I would make this recipe.

Chipotle Appetizer Meatballs

These spicy meatballs are a wonderful appetizer and, when served in a chafing dish, will hold for a long time. Simple to prepare, they can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving.

Sauce:

1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup chipotles en adobo along with the sauce, stems removed

Meatballs:

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
½ cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Garnish: Chopped fresh cilantro

To make the sauce, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until they are lightly browned. Add the tomato sauce, broth, and the chipotles in adobo sauce. Heat the mixture to just under boiling and simmer for 20 minutes. Place the sauce in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

To make the meatballs, combine the beef, pork, onion, cilantro, bread crumbs, egg, and season with salt and pepper. Gently mix, and then form into small meatballs. Pour a couple of tablespoons of the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the meatballs. Remove and drain.

Return the sauce to the pan, add the meatballs and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to finish cooking the meat.

To serve: place in a chafing dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve accompanied with toothpicks.

Last edited:
We'll be having our usual BBQ fare. BBQ, beans, slaw.

Back
Top Bottom