"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #101
Head Chef

I'd have to say oysters ~ served to me directly from the oyster knife while I was perched on the kitchen counter trying to keep an eye on the crab that was boiling outside on the grill ... Simple. Perfect. And sublime.

oy

Z

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #102
Head Chef

Can't pick just one. I do love the Vitello Tonnato that I make. Haven't for a long time, though.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #103
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
My buddy Bob started as a sous chef at a new restaurant and when i went to check the place out, he gave me and the g/f the VIP treatment and went off the menu for us. The very first thing he sent out was a thin slice of grilled clementine, topped with a perfectly seasoned and seared scallop, sliced thin, on top of that there was a fried basil leaf, with a tiny little pile of perfectly minced garlic, ginger, and a bit of the juice from the clementine, and a tiny bit of basil chiffonade on top of that. The most glorious 3 bites, and the best scallop, I have ever had.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #104
Assistant Cook

simply amazing what sharing a recipe can do....widen cooking horizons, teach , inspire!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #105
Senior Cook

I am a big Bruschetta person.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #106
Sous Chef

The best ever was a simple slice of Proscuitto De Parma sliced moments before serving from a leg bought in Parma and broight to us while I was living in Switzerland.

I have never had proscuitto like that since. It was butter.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #107
Head Chef

I'm not sure about the best I've had, but I know the best I've made was a spinach artichoke dip with cheese straight out of the slow cooker, with baked pita slices.

Yep, I'm an amateur. But it was amazing. :)
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #108
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
That's a great restaurant! I used to walk past it sometimes on my way to work and it was always packed.

Wonderful pictures of your family and hiking! I will tell my son about Wild Ginger and satay's made as you observe. I went to the first Starbucks in Seattle, being a passionate coffee maven, azillion years ago at one of the first
meetings of The international Association for Culinary Professionals and when free for a day or evening would roam around downtown seattle and of course tried Gooey Duck and oysters still with a shiver left!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #109
Assistant Cook

Fresh spring rolls or potstickers..can't decide..both so yummy
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #110
Senior Cook

L'Auberge Chez Francois (Great Falls, VA. Alsatian): Choucroute Garnie with smoked fish and some sort of butter sauce. Smoked sable, sturgeon, trout, salmon, and others with beautiful choucroute and the rich sauce. Incredible flavor balance.

EDIT: I had some duck confit empanadas with a mild green curry dipping sauce at Ceiba that were also pretty impressive. There was also something at the Newport Room in Bermuda that involved a quail egg, asparagus, pork belly, and some other stuff that while I can't recall what precisely was IN it, I can definitely recall eating it. Delicious.

Tags
None