"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
Master Chef
There's a gourmet restaurant in a nearby town that has wonderful food. Last time we were there, we asked the waiter to choose our hors d'ouevre, and he came back with a tray of baked brie, smoked salmon on little toasts, and sliced apples.
We also had some fantastic grilled portabellos at a place in Chicago, which I have never been able to duplicate.

I guess my top pick would have to be oysters on the half shell, though.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
I had one today that is I'd say is going to become a favorite with the whole sunday crowd..Little triangle sandwiches made with butter, fig jam and prosciutto..They were delicious...My daughter and i were talking about a crostini, bruschetta party this summer and although these don't qualify as either crostini or bruschetta, they will be a welcome addition to the mix...I have several other ideas that might work for these little cuties and am looking forward to trying them..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #23
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Originally Posted by mish
No offense, but wasn't the same thread started/discussed two weeks ago (2/15)?
I don't know if it was or not but appetizers are my very part of a meal. They ARE a meal to me! So I'm happy that this thread was resurrected or restarted.
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #24
DC Grandma
Originally Posted by mudbug
Boiled Gulf shrimp, now ice cold, with a spicy remoulade sauce.
when DH was stationed in Jacksonville Fla. (4 years- 1959 -1963) We ate Gulf Shrimp right out of the St. John's River..Paul would throw out a net and pull them in..one time a snake--he looked around and he was the only one left on the pier. LOL I was the first one off !
Back to the shrimp..we ate it in place of popcorn because we didn't have the extra change to buy popcorn. I won't eat shrimp now. LOL
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
When I was still living in South Bend IN I would occationally go to a restraunt in the nearby town of Granger. It was named Yesterday's Once in a while for birthdays we would go for whole meals, but normally just appatisers and desert.

My Favorite, appitizer. Whole roasted garlic served with baguette rounds that had been toasted and coverd with parmasain cheese. The garlic head had the top sliced off and then the entire thing was drizzled with Rosemary olive oil. Pluck a clove out and spread it on the bread. The last time I ate it I could smell the garlic in my skin. It was fantastic though.
kingfisherfd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
Dove (sigh)

I can't imagine what it must be like to be sick of Gulf shrimp..............all we can get locally are those nasty Tigers with no taste.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Sous Chef
One of the favorites around here is stromboli( stuffed bread) and another hands down is piggies in the blankets
VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook
Ooh! I love the ginger pork gyoza from this japanese restaurant called Wakamono in Montreal... also I had a friend who was a sushi chef, he'd make me sashimi tempura with a sweet sauce... mmmm. In Key West I like to order conch or alligator fritters, but I think it's mostly because I never get to eat this anywhere else
biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #29
Master Chef
As for appetizer, it depends.... from a resturaunt, I would have to say Pappadeaux's Seafood Gumbo or Calamari. Both are excellent treats and are always orderd when at this place. For home cooking, I rarely treat ourselves to appetizers.... just seems to ruin my appetite for the main course.... not sure why it does not do the same when you are eating out. Maybe it is the anticipation of getting something cooked for you and tantalizing that makes it easier to consume both appetizer and main meal annnnndddd desert!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #30
Master Chef
Gee, it's so hard to pick just one. I'd have to say my top 3 have been:

1) A fried flat wonton skin topped with a large portion of steamed shelled Maine Lobster claw & tail meat, garnished with fresh herbs.

2) Baby soft-shelled crabs, sauteed in olive oil & garlic.

3) "Shark Bites" - bite-sized cubes of broiled seasoned shark.

Guess it's not difficult to tell that I'm a big-time seafood lover - lol!!

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote