"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
There are so many great ones to choose from. I guess I like a combination of fresh figs, prosciutto, shaved parmigiano-reggiano on a endive leave drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

Mark

Old 05-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

My favorite appetizer of all time was a fried calamari that they made at Mama Nina's in Yountville, CA (now gone)...they breaded it lightly with a breading I think, made of flour with some cayenne in it, then fried it so that it was just golden, then sprinkled it while it was hot with freshly grated Parmesan and served it with a spicy Shriracha aioli...drizzled with a little lemon juice, and it was HEAVEN!

"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?" Lance Armstrong
nvnvgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

The best one was taught to me by a chef.

Gulf Shrimp marinated in EVOO and Montreal Seasoning for 4-8 hours then grilled.
The shrimp HAVE TO have shells ON. Cook over hot coals fast. Some of the shells will look burnt but the shell will protect them.

I cook this every party and people tell me it is awesome.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #54
Head Chef

Shrimp Shumai (Japanese)
Mussels in butter/white wine/shallots (French)
Vegetable fritters (East Indian)
Bruschetta with Roasted Red Peppers, Goat Cheese, and Basil
Eggplant salad (Moroccan)
Corn tamales (Cuban - from Victor's Cafe - NYC)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hands down...baked brie with toasted walnuts at the Yellow Brick Bank restaurant in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Buck and I always dined there when we went on our annual anniversary trip to the place where we honeymooned. The Yellow Brick Bank had awesome food and ambiance. l'm happy to see it's still around, as is the Bavarian Inn.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Topless Oysters at Blacks Oyster Bar, Abbeville Louisiana! Straight up! They were so briney..no salt needed and perfectly chilled!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #57
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Chili poppers, they`re like jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese then rolled in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #58
Head Chef

Nothing beats pan-fried foie gras with a sweet and sour demiglace sauce. Full stop.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #59
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Topless Oysters at Blacks Oyster Bar, Abbeville Louisiana! Straight up! They were so briney..no salt needed and perfectly chilled!!
Uncle Bob, I recall several appys at Black's I would gladly eat again!

There are too many to list them all, but for consistency, I have to go with the Fried Calamari at El Charro Espanol in Greenwich Village. In 17+ years they''ve never been less than perfect!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #60
Head Chef

I love taking pickled watermelon rind, which we can find at the supermarket, and wrapping it with bacon and putting in the oven until the bacon is done.But the best, number one, gone from the plate when you plunk it down appetizer comes from a skinny tall book we purchased at a William Sonoma years ago caooed 'The Book of As' by June Bugden.Cannot post recipe due to copyrite concerns but you basically cut a thin slice of pork tenderloin, not the loin, ans whomp it. You then wrap the thinned pork about a piece of green onion.Toss the rolls into a mixture of soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and oil. Put it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it, no specific time here, and put in oven. Baste with the mixture until they are done.Basically it is scallions wrapped with pork tenderloin in a looing sauce.We always serve them in a nice presentation, but you don't have to bother. They go like crazy.

Tags
None