"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

An additional comment. I like to see and touch things before buying, so even if I'm buying on the web, I will go to a BB&B or such to look at and handle different items (and check prices)... then I go online to do my shopping. Sometimes I find that with a 20% coupon and no shipping charge, I actually can get it at BB&B for less...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Thanks again, all. A google search for "Restaurant Supply" yielded me this:

Restaurant Equipment Supply | Catering Food Service Supplies - Galasource Supply

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. I was at a cookware store nearby (notorious for mark-ups) and I was looking at simple wooden spoons. They had some for $3. This site has them for like $0.50.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have a bunch of custard cups, large and small, that make perfect mise en place bowls. I also found some smaller ones at the Dollar Tree that were 3/$1.

Personally, I use cheap paper plates, so I don't have all those little bowls to wash.

You can find all sorts of kitchen gear on eBay, but sometimes the shipping will eat you up!
Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yes, Cyber, restaurant supply stores are great places. We're fortunate to have two in our area and we've purchased a number of things from them.

As someone else mentioned, Wal-Mart is a good place to get some of the basics. Our Wal-Marts have plenty of pinch cups, small bowls, etc.

Freecycle is all over the U.S. and three foreign countries. It's a wonderful resource for getting and getting rid all kinds of goodies. Just go to The Freecycle Network to find a group nearest you.

Another resource would be thrift stores. I visit Goodwill and Salvation Army ones regularly. Two weeks ago I bought an almost new Pyrex glass pie pan for $.50, which is far less than the cost of a new one. Also a couple of years ago, I bought a Salton rice cooker/veggie steamer for $2. and a wonderful Welbilt bread machine for $3.

Don't know if you have Hobby Lobby stores in your area, but every 2 weeks they have a 40% off coupon good on regular-priced merchandise. I've purchased quite a few heavy-duty Wilton round cake pans using the coupons.

Just keep your eyes open, you will be amazed at what you can find.
Thanks for posting about Freecycle, Katie. I looked and we have it here, too. WooHoo!!!! I can't wait. I'm a dumpster diver from way back and this will be even better!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Go to an outlet mall that has a pyrex outlet store. They have sales periodically, so you can find stuff cheaper than what you would in walmart. I got lucky about 5 years ago and caught a pyrex store that was going out of business. I got 9" glass pie plates for $.25 a piece, ramekins for about the same. I got 4qt pyrex bowls for maybe $2.

You may not have to time to be a master shopper, but once you have taken care of your basic needs, trolling kitchen supply stores for sales is a good thing.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I love cooking.com. If you sign up with them, they send you emails about specials, and it seems that just about every item you can think of is sold under Clearance at some time or other. I've never bought bowls from them (though they sell them) but I've saved a bundle on gadgets and cookware. For some reason they were practically giving away the Calphalon chef's pan at one time. I check them frequently.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I wouldn't let Bed, Bath and Beyond intimidate me if I were you. All the previous suggestions are great, but be aware B,B & B are generous with their 20% off coupons. They will even accept coupons from Linens and Things (and vice versa). Don't be afraid or intimidated to shop there. The quality is quite good.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
For the little ramekins, check the thrift stores and restaurant supply. You'll get them much cheaper.

I got cookware and cutting boards that sell for $50 at Bed Bath & Beyond brand new for $10 at TJ Max. Ebay for everything else.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I like to go to many different sources. Unlike with all other types of shopping, I actually enjoy shopping for cooking tools!

I really enjoy restaurant supply stores, but I also enjoy BB&B, thrift stores, and department stores. I still can't wake myself up early enough to catch the good stuff at yard sales, but I'm working on it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Stopped by the Dollar Tree (everything is a dollar) today during our shopping routine. Picked up some more mise en place glass bowls there.

The big ones are 2 for $1.00, and the small ones are 3 for $1.00. Just can’t beat that!