"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

steve, i will be making this soon. thanks for the recipe.

my thai birds exploded with chilis in the past few weeks, and they're very hot, pretty much at my heat limit. making a sauce will allow me to temper them just a bit. also, i still have 2 gallon ziplocks full of dried thai birds from the last 2 seasons, so i was looking for something else to do with this year's crop. your sauce looks perfect.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Recall the botulism risk of homemade chile oil

chili pepper oil botulism - Google Search
I reckon so...it is good advice. I would never advocate anything that I feel is dangerous. Having made several gallons of chili oil, I can only say I have not had any troubles. Your mileage may vary, but forewarned is forearmed. Thanks Jen!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
steve, i will be making this soon. thanks for the recipe.

my thai birds exploded with chilis in the past few weeks, and they're very hot, pretty much at my heat limit. making a sauce will allow me to temper them just a bit. also, i still have 2 gallon ziplocks full of dried thai birds from the last 2 seasons, so i was looking for something else to do with this year's crop. your sauce looks perfect.
BT, if you need to temper the heat, you can also add some non-hot peppers into the mix (for example, red bell peppers).

In fact, you can use pretty much any kind of chilies in this recipe. Last year, I made the same sauce using jalapenos.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds good. thanks again, steve

my yellow hot banana peppers and "caribbean hot" (what appear to be oddly named habs or scotch bonnets) also did well this year, probably from the lack of rain and many 90+ degree days. i may make a few sauces as i have enough of each dried and stored away for a number of years.

i've made hot sauces before, but what i really liked about your recipe is the photo. it looks like hot sauce. other recipes i've used incorporated a lot of other ingredients like carrots or fruit (for a sweet component, apparently) that made it look sorta like baby diahrrea. tasty, but nasty looking.

lol, i named one particularly ugly hot sauce "uranus rocket fuel".

btw, don't let the broadway producers of "wicked" see your label.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Recall the botulism risk of homemade chile oil
it has a terrible affect on my botty too, I put the toilet rolls in the fridge which helps
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds lovely, thanks Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
btw, don't let the broadway producers of "wicked" see your label.
Lol, I gave quite a few of those away to friends last year for Christmas gifts. I had originally tried to make a label with a cartoon jalapeno in a witch's hat, but my artistic skills weren't up to snuff. So I had to resort to shamelessly stealing the broadway artwork.

Tags
pepper, recipe, sauce

Hot Pepper Sauce One of the things I look forward to every fall is making homemade hot sauces from whatever chilies I happen to grow or buy at the farm market. In past years, I've used jalapeños, serranos, habaneros, and cayenne. This year I had an abundance of Thai chilies. Below is a very basic recipe will work for pretty much any kind of chilies. [B]Ingredients [/B] [LIST] [*]1/2 lb. chili peppers, finely chopped (roughly 2 cups) [*]1 small onion, thinly sliced [*]5-6 cloves garlic, finely minced [*]1 tsp vegetable oil [*]1 tsp kosher salt [*]1 tsp sugar [*]1-1/2 cups water [*]1 cup white distilled vinegar [/LIST] [B]Preparation[/B] [LIST=1] [*]Heat oil over medium high heat in a 1 quart saucepan. Add chilis, onions, salt, sugar. Sauté for 5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds. [*]Add water and cook on medium high heat for about 12-15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. [*]Purée pepper mash along with vinegar in a food processor. [*]Correct the seasoning and use the back of a spoon to press the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove most of the solids. [*]Carefully pour the sauce into sterilized 5 ounce hot sauce bottles. Refrigerate and allow to age for 2-3 weeks before using (it will mellow a bit). [/LIST] Yield: 2 10-oz bottles of hot pepper sauce. These sauces will keep for up to year in the fridge. [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/hot_sauce1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/hot_sauce2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/hot_sauce3.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews