Bottom freezer, 3 door refridgerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've looked at them in the stores. i like the fridge part but i hate the freezer part. doesn't look like you can put much in there lol. i'll just stick with my freezer ontop fridge i guess.

My folks had a freezer on the bottom (Sub Zero). It actually just broke and is going to be very expensive to fix. I do not know if they liked it or not, but I couldn't stand it. Because you have to stack things one on top of the other, if you ever want something on the bottom then you have to go digging and pulling everything out. You can't just move something to the side to see what is back there like in a side by side or freezer on top.

Yes cold air sinks so it would seem to make sense to have the freezer on the bottom, but in my parents model, when you open the freezer, the sides are open too so all the cold air spills out anyway.

Thanks for the comments. I don't care that much about the freezer, I keep most of my stuff in a large freezer in the garage. I'm really thinking more about the french style doors. My kitchen isn't really small but it would give me more walk by room.

I had a bottom drawer freezer/refrigerator at our last home and absolutely loved it! I had the drawer type rather than the side door opening type on the freezer so cold air didn't pour out as with side opening styles. Same goes for one unit freezer types, the side door style is less efficient than the top lid style because the cold doesn't pour out when open. When you think about it, you go into the refrigerator part of the unit tons more times a day than going into the freezer part and it's more reasonable to have the food you are most often looking for at an accessible height, so not so much bending over, i.e., to get in the veggie drawer, etc. At our current home, it came with a side by side refrigerator freezer and I find that the freezer side holds next to nothing and the fridge side doesn't hold large platters well at all. You definitely need a separate freezer if you plan to have anything more than about a week's worth of frozen food on hand. I'll definitely go with the bottom drawer freezer type with our next refrigerator, and I do kind of like the models where the fridge part as two doors, with the idea that even less air escapes when open. Have a great weekend everyone! :)

Growing up my mother had a freezer in the bottom and boy was that great. I always thought it was more convenient as everyone is all day in and out of the fridge, but not so the freezer (except in summer for ice cream).

cats said:
I had a bottom drawer freezer/refrigerator at our last home and absolutely loved it! I had the drawer type rather than the side door opening type on the freezer so cold air didn't pour out as with side opening styles. Same goes for one unit freezer types, the side door style is less efficient than the top lid style because the cold doesn't pour out when open. When you think about it, you go into the refrigerator part of the unit tons more times a day than going into the freezer part and it's more reasonable to have the food you are most often looking for at an accessible height, so not so much bending over, i.e., to get in the veggie drawer, etc. At our current home, it came with a side by side refrigerator freezer and I find that the freezer side holds next to nothing and the fridge side doesn't hold large platters well at all. You definitely need a separate freezer if you plan to have anything more than about a week's worth of frozen food on hand. I'll definitely go with the bottom drawer freezer type with our next refrigerator, and I do kind of like the models where the fridge part as two doors, with the idea that even less air escapes when open. Have a great weekend everyone! :)
You remember the brand you had? That makes difference.

I'm not 100% sure of the brand, but my husband thinks it was a GE and I think it may have been a Whirlpool. It definitely was not a Kenmore.

GB said:
My folks had a freezer on the bottom (Sub Zero). It actually just broke and is going to be very expensive to fix. I do not know if they liked it or not, but I couldn't stand it. Because you have to stack things one on top of the other, if you ever want something on the bottom then you have to go digging and pulling everything out. You can't just move something to the side to see what is back there like in a side by side or freezer on top.

Yes cold air sinks so it would seem to make sense to have the freezer on the bottom, but in my parents model, when you open the freezer, the sides are open too so all the cold air spills out anyway.

Yeah, my bad back says -- no can do!

I have looked at bottom freezers before, and I really don't like the idea of having it located there. I've always had a top freezer, and have always had good experiences with them. Also, not having to stoop so far down to get something is always a big plus.

MrCoffee

MrCoffee said:
I have looked at bottom freezers before, and I really don't like the idea of having it located there. I've always had a top freezer, and have always had good experiences with them. Also, not having to stoop so far down to get something is always a big plus.

MrCoffee

MC that is the whole idea of the freezer below, you are always into the fridge part much more often than the freezer.

Well, I can reach everything in the frige part as well as I can in the freezer, with the top mount. It is much easier for me to retrieve things in a top freezer as well, and I don't have to go digging. I have seen refrigerators with a drawer-type freezer as well, but with one of them you might as well have a chest freezer. Don't get me wrong, though. A bottom freezer does have its niche market, and it will serve its purpose for those who prefer it.

MrCoffee

MC - So, is your refrigerator on 3' legs or something so that you don't have to stoop down to get things out of say the crisper drawer for example? Even if you have to stoop to get something out of a bottom freezer model, you are only going to have to do that once, maybe twice, in one day. Things I need to retrieve most often makes more sense to me that they be at above knee/waist height.

Well, no, it's not on 3' legs and I still have to stoop down to get to the crisper. But, I don't use the crisper very often either, less often then the freezer in fact. But as you say, there are those who will use the crisper far more often then they would the freezer, hence the bottom freezer available on some models.

MrCoffee

MrCoffee said:

Come to think of it, I think I might have worded that wrong :blink:. I meant to say that a bottom freezer doesn't work as well for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for others! My error, and yes, a bottom freezer is definitely handy for those who need and appreciate the feature :chef:.

MrCoffee

In my house I chose to go with a seperate freezer and a seperate refrigerator. Sharing the two (either top bottom, bottom top or side by side) never gave me enough space either in the refrigerator or freezer. I have to say I am sure glad I went that route.

Now I have plenty of space in my freezer to stack up stuff I need to and have ample space in my refrigerator for gallons and gallons of milk bottles and juices for my growing boys.

I have a GE Monogram built in series. They are tall and have tons of storage.

Back
Top Bottom