"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cleaning Radiant Cooktop?

I have some burnt on stains on the eyes of my flat top range, it is beyond the cleaning compound and green scuffy pad. They are from liquid that over flowed and burnt under the pot. Unfortunately i didn't clean them right away and now i can't. I am scared to use steel wool. Have any of you had this problem and know how to clean it?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I don't know much about Mr. Clean's "Magic Eraser" but it seems to clean most anything of off everything. A thought to look into? Again, I've no knowledge of the products outside of commercials. T'would be worth looking in to I would suppose . . . . .

Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Master Chef

I use Softscrub on my glasstop stove. I just pour it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes if it's burnt on and then use a hot sponge with scrubber, not steel just the regular 2 sided sponges and wipe it off. Sometimes, I have to scrub a little,but, mine is over a year old and still looks brand new.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That Greased Lightening is a pretty good thing. Don't know how it would work on radiant. Might consult your manual. I would not use an abrasive. Just my opinion. Another thought is steam -- there are several steamers out there that will clean just about anything. Recently bought one that I plan on steaming i.e. clothing, mirrors, counter tops, oven etc. Better than using chemicals.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone
Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I use Softscrub on my glasstop stove. I just pour it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes if it's burnt on and then use a hot sponge with scrubber, not steel just the regular 2 sided sponges and wipe it off. Sometimes, I have to scrub a little,but, mine is over a year old and still looks brand new.
Wow! What a good idea! I've got a glass top too and can never get it clean. I hadn't thought of using Softscrub!! Thanks!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Your welcome!! I got a little bottle of stuff with my stove and it's basically the same thing. That is all I will use on it since there is nothing that will scratch the surface like with Comet or Ajax would.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

Barkeeper's Friend.

Stuff's imazing. Got off burned sugar from jelly-making.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
I got a razor blade in a holder that you can use to scrape off the burned stuff. Just remember to keep it flat against the surface.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Master Chef

I, too, got a razor blade with my stove. I'm careful, but those starchy over-boils come off quite easily with it.