"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I am lobbying for a freezer, any freezer. I originally thought chest. I thought they cost less $$ and are less expensive to run. The things that I have read here about an upright make a lot of sense. I guess I could check energy ratings on chest vs Upright. I also thought that I should avoid frost free for energy and longevity reasons.

Am I dealing with old info?

AC

Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I think any new freezer is going to be more efficient than what I am running now, it's that mentality that I have because my refrigerator is so crappy. Has been from day one. "Everybody" is always saying the new appliances aren't as good as the old ones because they are made so energy efficient and yet the parts don't seem to last as long.

So nobody has answered how old some of your freezers are. Anybody with an older one than mine, or an old one they had fixed?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

My freezer upstairs is only a few years old. I have no idea how old my downstairs one is. It seems pretty old, but I do not know if it is as old as your 1983 freezer. It came with our house when we bought it.

My parents have a chest freezer that is probably just a few years younger than your 1983 freezer. It has never had a problem a day in its life and there are no indications that it is anywhere near having a problem. This definitely get lost in theirs, but they are not the most organized people in the world. If you are very organized then chest freezers are great. if you are not then they are a pain in the butt.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I can't say much about the old ones, but parts for our last one woulda cost 1/2 the amount of the new freezer we bought.... it was only 3 years old at the time.... 2003....
it broke because we were keeping it in a cold garage and it froze up... .a freezer froze up.... ok.... anyway.
We gave that one to my MIL and they bought the part, we bought a new bigger one when we moved to this house.
Then DH fried the computer board on the top when he was scrubbing his live rock for the aquarium.... it ran non stop for about 2 years until he looked up the part. $90 bucks. So we got it fixed, he did it himself so it didn't cost the labor.
Now if you'll excuse my long-winded story, I gotta go dig for a turkey....
Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So what can you folks tell me about freezers?
I purchase mine in 1983 and it's been working great, but that seems pretty old to me. The more I stock up on sales, the more nervous I get...
Is there anyone here with an older one? Can the old ones even be fixed, seeing as how they don't use freon anymore? I could probably call a appliance store on that.

And I must say I love my upright. I try to keep a spot on one of the shelves where I can freeze fresh food, but there's been times when a little "browsing" through the shelves has led to food sliding out, especially with most of my items being in FS or other vaccum sealed bags. It gets hard to stack the shelves at times. Plus aren't the chest freezers supposed to be more efficient?

So what can you tell me? I've already boughten another all-in-one for work because my current one is starting to need reset to get it working now and then. I can't afford to lose my printer or fax even for a day. I'm wondering if it would also be good insurance to get a new freezer in the basement, just in case. Hmmm, maybe use the new one (more efficient) and keep the old one as a backup?
Hey Pacanis,
Fridges and freezers are funny critters. You can have a relatively new one that will give up the ghost early or you can have an old one that will last seemingly forever. My cousin has an old refridgerator from the 1940's in his basement that is still going strong. The heart of your freezer is the compressor, if that goes out your freezer is pretty much toast. But, there are a few other elements that can go bad also. The thermostat, defrost timer, evaporator fan motor, condensor fan motor and the door gaskets can also be a problem. If you keep the condensor coil clean and the door gaskets in good shape, your freezer should last you a long time barring a control problem. But from a practicality standpoint, a new energy efficient freezer will cost you much less to operate than your old model. With the rising cost of electricity, it may be worth your while to purchase a new energy star approved product.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
doesn't it make your shoes really cold?

and as far as a map goes, i certainly think pacanis knows where his freezer is. he probably doesn't need to draw a big x on it...
The map was for what is in the freezer... so you can remember what you put where. Are you messin with me???

Have you heard that chilling your shoes makes them last longer?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
But sometimes I do get a little dizzy from hanging upside down for 5 min searching for which of the 6 turkeys I've hoarded is the oldest.....
Been there!!!! And a headache from freezing your head!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Good point JohnL. My electric bill is terrible as it is. A lot higher than my neighbor's bill. I wonder if it's from running this old freezer....
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two big chest freezers --- Like everyone says --- they can be a challenge to organize and maintain it. On equal cubic foot sizes, expect to pay a $50-$150 + premium for upright models --- Expect to pay an addtional premium for Auto defrost models.. Chest or upright.... Annual power usuage is about Tit for Tat on upright, vs. chest models depending on the Name, Rank & Serial number of the freezer. Power useage for Auto defrost is 1/2 again to double the cost of the manual defrost models---Again depending on Name, Rank.....etc.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

The one I have isn't auto defrost. I'll probably stick with similar.