I need help on electric oven use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladycheryl

Assistant Cook
i just moved into an apartment & there is an electric stove/oven. i am used to gas appliances so this is a mystery. i noticed the dial for the oven has High, High/Med, Med, etc. where are the numbers? how do i know what the temp is??:(

You'll need an oven thermometer to establish what the different settings mean temperature wise...or maybe check the owners manual...it may offer some insight.

Welcome to DC!!

Have Fun!

I always had gas stove til I moved down here too. Here everything is electric. I think the dial you are talking about is the stove top knobs. You can't work an oven with a dial like that. One of the other dials should have a temperature gauge, even if the numbers are worn alittle. If not, I have no clue, other that to tell you you better get a thermometer and do some experimenting with an empty oven, before you ruin a good meal. STRANGE!

Does the oven knob turn freely or does it click into place at each mark? If it turns freely, it may be that someone put the wrong knob on the post. If it clicks into place it may not be for the oven and may be for a burner instead. The maintenance guy may have simply replaced a broken or missing temp knob with whatever he had around. Definitley get a thermometer but also contact your rental manager and ask about it. If you explain you are unfamiliar with electric stoves and need some instructions and question about the oven knob you may get some better answers about your particular appliance than we can supply here. Good Luck and Welcome to DC!

Sounds to me like the prior tenant switched some knobs up on you. You should contact the landlord to get the correct knobs on your appliance. I used electric ovens for many years and never not once did any of them not have a temperature gage knob for the oven.

Callisto's right Ladycheryl! I think somebody switched some knobs on you. The oven knob should have temperatures on it no matter if it's gas or electric. The high/med high/med/low thing is a burner knob.

Yeah, the place I'm in now has an electric range with a small warming oven - the first time I used the "real" oven, I almost set fire to the pie. Someone had switched the temp control knobs of the two ovens - what I thought was 350º was more like 475-500º. Get ye to a Home Depot and get a replacement knob - you'll need the manufacturer, model and year (data plate inside oven?) to get a direct replacement, but just a make, model should get you a universal replacement. The purchase of an oven thermometer is always a good idea, especially in a rental.

Yeah, the place I'm in now has an electric range with a small warming oven - the first time I used the "real" oven, I almost set fire to the pie. Someone had switched the temp control knobs of the two ovens - what I thought was 350º was more like 475-500º. Get ye to a Home Depot and get a replacement knob - you'll need the manufacturer, model and year (data plate inside oven?) to get a direct replacement, but just a make, model should get you a universal replacement. The purchase of an oven thermometer is always a good idea, especially in a rental.
I would not do this yourself. Having rented for years, you need to let the landlord do it especially since he rented you the unit with improper equipment. You could be setting up an unknown liability issue if you do it yourself. That and why should you incur the cost when it's his responsibility. Heck. I don't even adjust the water heater myself in my rental.

Back
Top Bottom