"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

KitchenAid Pro 5 plus mixer

My dear hubby just got me this for an early bday present -

I'm looking forward to using it, and I know there are various attachments that I can buy seperately. Which ones do I want and which do I want to stay away from?

Any other words of wisdom would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #2

The plastic meat grinder cracks, I would go with the cast aluminum vintage one.

I would not buy the plastic pasta disks. Most people think they are worthless, but like the stainless steel pasta roller.

This is a good start.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Eventually, the plastic meat grinder cracks, but that takes a lot of years in my case.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

What a good hubby! Mine got me the same thing for our wedding gift. People were horrified that he got me a mixer ("how unromantic!" etc.) but I couldn't have been happier.

I have the shredder/slicers--they work very well and clean up easily. I'd recommend them. They're great for large shredding/slicing jobs like hashbrowns, carrot cake, etc. Biggest problem for me is remembering how to attach them since I don't use them all that often! :oops:

I'm really excited to get the ice cream maker attachment for Christmas (are you listening, Santa?). It has a 2 qt capacity, which is good compared to many others I've looked at that are 1-1.5 qt. You can find it on www.chefscatalog.com for $79.99. I've seen it elsewhere for $99.99.

Enjoy your new mixer and happy early birthday!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Jkath...you will want the slicer shredder for sure....I also think the pasta roller or the extruder will be high on your list....one makes extruded pasta, the other sheet pasta. I can't justify the grain mill but almost everything else will eventually be in my home. Pst 8)
Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

jkath, you are one lucky woman. I have limited storage/counter space, so probably will never have one of those. I am hoping for a Le Creuset dutch oven. :) :)
Old 11-16-2004, 08:01 AM   #7

The reason I did not recommend the rotary slicing attachment was - not that it is not good, it is.

But if you have a good food processor with all the slicing disks, you will not need the slicing attachment for your Kitchenaid mixer. I assume that storage space is an issue in every kitchen.

Besides, having the best food processor and mixer you can afford is having the best of all possible worlds in my opinion. Combine these two with a great blender, and you have what I call.....the holy trinity of kitchen equipment. Each serves a different purpose without overlapping much, but every culinary need is met with excellence.

With this in mind, I would carefully select Kitchenaid attachments to ensure you are not overlapping what your food processor and your blender will do better. Only you know what kind of cooking you do.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

You guys are wonderful!

The reason I wanted to know about attachments, is that my mil never knows what to get me for birthdays or Christmas. I always tell her that I'm an adult, so she needn't buy anything, or perhaps she can just take us out for coffee and dessert if she really wants to do something (that way, she can have fun too)
She still insists, so I thought hubby could hint about attachments.
Lyndalou - as for counter space, I have none, but am willing to give it up for this beauty!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Congrats jkath.............I just one an auction for a Hobart Kitchen Aid Mixer K45 SS. Choclate recommended the Hobart brand. I'm just as excited as you are. I hope you don't mind I'd like to ask Choclate a few questions in your post.

Choclate............the one I won on Ebay is item # 4336045093. I'd like to buy an extra bowl as you recommended. Will the current bowls being made work on this older Hobart model? Will all the newer kitchenaid attachments work with my mixer? Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Ah, jkath, SizzlininIn and Chocolate are talking about a good point here--an extra bowl. At first I didn't think it would be necessary, but it actually would come in very handy. Plus, you can buy them with lids, which would be great for refrigeration. They're not all that cheep ($50 maybe) so that would make a really nice gift.

The other accessory that I have that I didn't think would make a difference but does is a cover for my mixer. It has a pocket in the side where I keep the manual and since I keep my mixer on the counter it keeps it from getting dusty, etc. I love it! I think it was about $25.