"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Are you saying that this would grind meat?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have had both for a very long time, and use them both, but for different purposes. No matter how finely it chops, the Cuisinart doesn't "grind." so the texture is different.

I've always made chopped liver in the grinder, pate in the food processor...

Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Looks like the KA food grinder is only $21.xx after rebate at the moment on Amazon:
FatWallet Forums - KitchenAid Mixer Accessories 25% Rebate-Ice Cream Maker & Food/Sausage Grinder was $127 now $70 AR or lower @ Amazon
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Guess I must be living in the Dark Ages. Even though I have a wonderful K.A. stand mixer, I don't have a food grinder attachment for it. Instead I rely on my trusty "Universal" clamp-on food grinder. I've had it for years and it has always served me well. With all the different plates, I can grind anything from fine to extra-coarse.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Just being a little bit nosey.

But how many of you own a food grinder? ...
How many of you think that your food processor is better? How many of you think that a grinder is better, and the reasons why for both? Should I stick with the FP or should I get a grinder?

I, myself, think that the FP would continue to suffice. Especially my K'Aid FP, since it's their top-of-the-line model and is a real powerhouse and workhorse!
I think that as long as you think the "FP would continue to suffice" there is no reason to buy a meat grinder. I use the KA stand mixer food grinder attachment to grind meat. For me what makes it worthwhile is grinding meats and making sausage.

If it disappeared I'd replace it with a good manual grinder.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahains
I don't get the "fatwallet" thing. Is shipping free, as it usually is on AMazon.
That is a GREAT deal for anyone who wants one.

Here it is on amazon. Free shipping. A little more.
Amazon.com: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers: Home & Garden
Old 12-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The KA grinder attachment gives you ground meat that has the texture of supermarket ground meat.

I kind of figured that. I've seen chef Mario Batali use one on his show Moto Mario.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

If you had a couple of pounds of meat to grind, I wonder which would be faster. You'd have to do small batches in the FP, filling and emtying in between. I don't know what the throughput on th KA grinder is.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

Katie, I have the same grinder. My ex-MIL bought it for me over 35 years ago, and after miles and miles of grinding ham salad, balogna spread, and relish, it's still like new. When Kim's folks passed, I kept their grinder, also. You never know when one of the kids is going to need something.

I have one for my KA now, and I really do like it. But as long as you've still got the elbow, you go girl!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Guess I must be living in the Dark Ages. Even though I have a wonderful K.A. stand mixer, I don't have a food grinder attachment for it. Instead I rely on my trusty "Universal" clamp-on food grinder. I've had it for years and it has always served me well. With all the different plates, I can grind anything from fine to extra-coarse.
I also have the old-old type that screws on the counter. I have to go down to my dh work shop and use his workbench. I just used it to grind my cranberries for relish. Still works great. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Kitchen Aid with all the attachments. Maybe Santa Claus will read this post.